Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a while back about having a bushing stuck in my crank, posted some pictures, etc. Anyway I finally got it out after too many hours. In the process I slightly (maybe a bit more than slightly, but not tremensously) gouged the crank.
This is on a 1972 4 bolt main.

Is the crank shot?

Mark F

1986 CJ7, Chevy 350, D44/D30, more to come shortly

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cant tell you for sure, but get some emery cloth and polish it up to remove any sharp edges.It's a gamble, but it may work out just fine.The problem I forsee is a piece of grit getting stuck in the gouge and reacking havic on the bearings giving way to precius oil pressure..

It's as close to a 1ton as it can get and still be a jeep!!! Gotta love it!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
let me clarify the gouges are on the rear face where the flywheel mounts. One gouge is on the face, the other is on the surface where a pilot bushing would go. I am not useing a pilot bushing, cause I'm installing an auto 700r4.

I'm concerned about balance.

Mark F

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No problem then, it cant knock it out of balace with a small gouge.Now you go to drilling and taking out lots of material then yeah!!! I personally wouldnt worry about it, but I'm not a machinist...

It's as close to a 1ton as it can get and still be a jeep!!! Gotta love it!!

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
You're talking about just a little material very close to the center of rotation. That should not make a bit of difference.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great thanks for all of the help. I feel better now the 700r4 is now in, just need to run my lines and put the D300 and I'm back in business.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts