Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what i need is some advice here are my syptoms:
1. have a oil soaked clutch due to the valve cover plastic of course leaking (i know 4wd hardware sales one for 129.99 does any one else sale one that will work) Rear main could be leaking also regradelss sounds like new clutch right.
2. Carb problems their are jets at the base of the carb it is a 2bbl of a 81 258 with liqud cooled intake. The jets are set into the base recessed. Need to get those replaced or a new carb. but the cost is 369.00 for a weber who has the lowest cost around or does any good old fashion part store have these jets i need( they have hooks on the end not letting me adjust properly)
3. Broke broke and more broke is it me or does these things we call the one and only make your pockets bare and wife all mad at you because we love them so much.

Need to hear some ideas.. should i keep playing with this motor or go for losing a tremendous amount of gas money in a V8 ????????
Need Help

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bag the 258 and drop in an AMC V8. Parts are cheaper and it's really a pretty easy swap. But then again, I don't even own a Jeep, so.......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are having the same problems that many of us have had.....
1. Valve cover....if it is not cracked, there is a way to make it seal. Remove and clean both the cover and mating surface. Using RTV gasket sealer, run a 1/4" bead around the valve cover surface. Let it sit for about 45 minutes or until the surface is not tacky but underneath is still soft. Then 'gently' put it back on the head and 'snug' down. DO NOT TIGHTEN the nuts or screws. Let sit overnite, next morning you can go ahead and tighten it all down. I have found this to work for me 99% of the time. Avoid the clifford valve cover from 4Wheel....it has its own set of problems. If you must replace the go to a junk yard and find one the metal ones off an old Rambler.
2. Carb....if you live in a smog state then don't replace the carb, it won't pass the visual inspection. As for the jets, those are not jets...they are the idle screws. Is sounds like you have a different problem. My advice would be to pull it and have it rebuilt. Check the tech page under Off Road...there is a great article on how to troubleshoot the emissions related parts.....also, make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks. The 258 is famous for them.

I can relate regarding the money and spouse....my last one complained too much so I got rid of here and found a wonderful lady who likes jeeps as much as I do. All joking aside, they can be expensive, but you can save a lot of money by taking your time and don't be afraid to ask questions on this BBS. They say you learn by your mistakes....how to you think we got so damned smart.......we have made all those mistakes.

keep the 258...its a good motor....putting in the v8 costs a lot more than it appears on the surface.....

Good Luck.....John

84CJ7

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Man, that is good advice from the dep "T" dog. Deal with the problems methodically....one by one. And try the 98 cent solution before you change the crankshaft./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The carb has been rebuilt i think that i have a vacum problem.. but how do i fix it is a transplant from a 81 i have a 77 cj that the motor is sitting in the valve cover is new i have used a cork gasket and 3m weather stripping and the cork gasket did not work also used the rubber type what are the disadvantages buy using the aluminum valve cover also i have the orginal 77 valve cover and it is metal. would that work at all
also on the carb any ideas on vacums it would help and the cluctch i think that i am going to haft to pull the oil pan ad replace both top main and bottom main to make sure that it seals up....

·
Registered
630 Posts
I bought a new plastic cover from my Jeep dealer for $58 and so far no leaks. If yours isn't cracked try the RTV method. It should work. If yours is cracked, try the JB Weld method and them the RTV. Don't touch the clutch till you know you have the leaks fixed. No sense ruining a new clutch. I don't have the "wife/money for Jeep" problem.....yet. I just don't tell her how much things cost. I tell her I found out on this great BBS how to do it cheaper........now then, I do have the "time spent on the Jeep / wife problem........I tried a comparison of my 50 some postings vs. CJDave's 350 postings. I don't think it had much effect.....she just said CJDave is getting away with it more than I am for now.......

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I told my wife that CJDave traded in his non jeep loving woman for a true jeep loving soul mate. I havent heard a peep about my jeep habit since...and since she doesn't appear to be packing, I consider this good news... I would hate to lose her but hey were talking about my jeep.
all the best
sean

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Believe me, that wasn't the only thing she didn't like. That ??#**? did me a favor when she split. Thank goodness she didn't get my 454 Suburban!/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe this was on a bumper sticker....
"Got a Jeep for my Wife, best trade I ever made"/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Cutch 88YJ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.