Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am deep into my on-board air installation now. I got all of the brackets arranged and have fit everything to check clearances. It looks like the radiator hose is going to be very close to the drivebelt on my York, Is this correct? The heater hose is also very close but I think I can re-route it. Does anyone know if the York mounts in the holes closest to the block or the other ones. The idler pulley is in place but the front most head bolt on my 258 is an actual bolt head, not a stud. Is it OK for me to use a length of screw rod to replace the bolt? I tried to find a new head bolt stud at several parts stores but had no luck. Any other advice will also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

1985 CJ7 4.2L, T-176, Dana 300, 2.5" lift, 31" tires, DurabakOn-Board Air

G

·
Use a factory upper radiator hose, for A/C, they are better shaped to clear the belts than aftermarket hoses. Ditto for the headbolt, ('85 4.2l usually have 7/16" USS size headbolts, but pull yours to be sure) the dealer can get the right one easily, or you could get one at a junk yard. Be sure to put sealer on the threads as this bolt goes into the waterjacket. It's a good time to replace the heater hose also.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see you are a Jeep Tech, Do you know about the mounting holes for the York? Closest to the block or away from the block?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif Tom....../wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif...don't even THINK of using all-thread for a head bolt. That would go deep into the realm of Mickey Mouseness, and would end up costing you a head R & R. /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
I'd be a little nervous about removing and reinstalling that head bolt without a loosening and retorque of
the entire head but maybe I'm overly cautious.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay CJDave,
I know that was a Mickey Mouse idea, but I got a little over anxious when I struck out at the auto parts stores. I will go to a dealer on Monday and hopefully purchase the proper stud and nuts. When I took the bolt out the engine was cold, when I put the new stud in, the engine will be cold, do you guys think I really need to loosen and re-torque all of the head bolts? The all-thread idea only came to mind after the third parts store turned me down and suggested I head back to the junkyard(not open on Sat.). Anyhow it has taken several weeks to accumulate the proper parts so I should have expected the install to take more than one day.

Thanks Guys

G

·
Don't rush to get it done. Go back to the junk yard for the right bolt or get it from the dealer. When I changed mine I didn't have the benefit of the experience of this Jeep page and changed only the front bolt. I had no problems doing only the one bolt. I have the same problem with the upper hose. Got the belt for cjs with air and it did fit better (Napa Auto Parts). Still the fit was too close for comfort so I fabricated a bracket that mounts to the compressor and keeps the hose from sagging and touching the belt or pulley. Remember that the hose may expand a little when it gets hot and then be even closer to the pulley. Earlier I had used two hose clamps to hold a kind of shield onto the upper hose at its closest point to the pulley. Wasn't a satisfactory set up though. John

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
If you totally strike out on finding the bolt tomorrow, let me know. I just looked and I found two of them
in the parts drawer (I got grease on my keyboard because of it too). 4-1/4" long 1/2 thread with a 7/8"
long 7/16 fine thread on the top. They came out of an '80 but I think they're the same. It's a pain to get
to the post office durring the week, but I can manage for a fellow jeeper.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Hey.....this board is amazing. So many times guys have pushed back the chair and crawled under their Jeep to check something for a fellow member of Jeepdom.....getting grease all over the keyboard...or even worse. PLUS I have seen some really good stuff given away in the same spirit of Jeepness/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif. THEN I see somebody wanting to SELL info for $100 bucks; info on how to graft a CJ front enf to a YJ. /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gifSHEESH! Wot a crook! /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

CJDave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.