Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The problem is when I tighten down the bering retainer I cant turn the imput shaft, but if I loosen it up it will turn over fine. Has anyone had this problem or have any ideas to fix this. Thanks

93 xj rustys 3"
79 cj-7
77cj-5

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Sounds like the bearing (or shaft) is not seated properly.

85 CJ-7 258/T176/D300 Scout D44s F&R with Lock-Rites and 4.56 gears. 4" springs with lift shackles 36" SS TSL Radials Hella Rallye 4000s for guiding small planes into the woods

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Muddy,
It sounds like you have a bearing of the wrong thickness. If I remember from when I rebuilt my T18, there are two thicknesses, you need to get the kit with the correct bearing. Check on http://www.partsmike.com for info on the rebuild. I used his instructions and the ones in the Hanes manual. Search his posts for T18.

good luck,
Chris
'84 CJ7, 258, Nutter, TR EFI upgrade, 2-1/2" BDS, 2" body, 33 MT

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Muddy,
I just thought of something else; be VERY sure that one of the needle bearings inside of the input shaft didn't fall loose and is crossways in the depression where they live, this happened to me. I had to add a little extra grease and use more care when installing the main shaft and mating it with the input shaft. If one or more of those little bearings is sideways there is no way it will seat properly. Which is a good thing.

Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
another thing to check is the synchros. They may have locked up you if you didnt get enough grease on them. Mine did, had to pry them loose with a screwdriver and grease them up real well so everything would turn right. Then she worked just fine.

cjcrawler
"The Beast"

http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~simmonst/Jeep.htm

·
Registered
539 Posts
Double the synchro binding problem if you had to install a new input shaft. This was the case with my T98... the new input shaft still had some roughness and would clutch onto the synchro, locking everything up.

Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got a new imput shaft and a new front bearing. The front and rear bearing seem to be the same size, I think I hered some where that the front imput shaft bearing was thicker. Mine are all the same size. I'll try greasing it up too and check the needle bearings.

93 xj rustys 3"
79 cj-7
77cj-5

1 - 7 of 7 Posts