Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 Wrangler with the 36,000, or 3 year warranty on it. Two days ago it started getting really hard to shift gears, I looked underneath it and noticed that the clutch slave cylinder was totally trashed, it was leaking so bad that it wouldnt work at all, so I took it back to the jeep dealer to get the slave cylinder repaired under warranty, this morning the tech called me back and told me that in addition to the slave cylinder needing replacing that the the clutch was bad also and was not covered under warranty, $652.00 to repair, oh, and the jeep only has 30,000 miles on it! is it true that this is not covered under their warranty, and also how could the 6 or 7 miles I drove it with the bad slave cylinder trash the clutch? Are they trying to take me? who can I call or talk to? need advice please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I don't see how a leaking slave cyl would cause the clutch assembly to go bad. Besides, I would think a bumper to bumper 36K warranty would cover the clutch anyhow. I now a guy with a tahoe that had the shocks replaced under warranty, and another that had the tranny replaced under warranty.
I don't know what you should do though. I mean, what they say pretty much goes, unless you can find another dealer. I'd suggest you let them replace the slave cyl, see how it drives. Then go back and get the clutch done (or do it yourself) if it still doesn't feel right.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think that wear items like clutches and breaks are only warrantied to 12000 miles... my slave cylinder went out as well and i had below 36000 miles on my jeep. they said they wouldnt warranty it and then i called crysler warranty hotline or customer service or whatever and they said the same thing. i still cant understand how the slave cylinder is a wear item, but they said anything to do with the clutch is not under warranty... to provide you with an extreme example, i asked them if my clutch pedal broke in hald while i was driving and fell down next to my feet if they would warranty it and she said no! i guess the clutch pedal wears to, make me wonder about the master cylinder and brake pedal... since the brakes are a wear item. oh well, it is fixed now so... good luck paying for it cause chrysler sure wont, and if they do let me know what your secret is!

'95 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
33"s, snorkel, 1000+ RTI, Warn xd9000i

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Greg,
Did I read that they are willing to change the slave cylinder under warranty? If so.....have them do it. For all you know the tech just wants to make a few bucks (slow month maybe). Warranty work pays virtually nothing to anyone at the dealership..the tech gets factory time.....the parts man gets a parts credit .....the service manager....gets nothing. All those people are riding on the customers back. You didn't say that you had any problems other than shifting...(read slipping in top gear or smoking if you lug it a little)...so the clutch may be just fine and the tech is counting on your ignorance.
BTW....although the clutch is rarely covered under warranty......the pressure plate usually is.
Just have them replace the slave cylinder and say you need a few weeks to strach up the cash for the clutch. If you start hearing "well if you run it that way...it'll cost a lot more when we have to do the clutch" more than likely they're hungry and you're lunch.

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1. The slave cylinder should be covered.
2. Most dealers won't warranty a clutch.
3. If you @[email protected]%# loud enough you can get damn near anything warrantied. Keep going up the chain of command, see if you can get someone with some power on your side (ie a salesman sho wants to make another sale ;-). Good luck,

Nick Hagen
1995 Wrangler
33" Mud Tires and a Chevy TBI 350

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
its really sad that the slave cylinder went bad after only 30K miles, even worse that it took the clutch with it..

if they deny the slave cylinder caused the problems, politely ask to see the mileage write in on every clutch job they have done in the last 5 years...
itll be so obivois even they wont be able to argue it should last longer than that.

most likely youll have to find another dealer, its a sad truth they really SUCK
most dealers , most places, will take you for everything they can

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of sanded and primered pieces

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One of my buddies is a dealership mechanic. Let me chat with him about this, and see what he says about it all. It sure doesn't sound right to me. My Chevy car has 135,000 km (84,000 mile) warranty, bumper to bumper on it, and so far they have been very reasonable about all the repairs.

I don't see any reason why the Chrysler dealership should have problems replacing the entire Jeep for under 30k miles (which is only 48k km). Sorry, I am Canadian and have to know both sets of numbers to make sense of what is really going on (sometimes).

Laters!

Vance - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1985 4x4 S-10 and 1988 Jeep YJ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.