Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out of town last week, and when I got back I was trying to start my Jeep. The carb's always kinda slow getting it started if it hasn't been started in a while so I have to try it several times. The first couple times I tried it, it was turning over but it sounded weak. Then I tried it and got a clicking noise. Now I get the clicking noise sometimes and sometimes I don't get anything. The battery went dead on me once, but I charged it and I think it is ok since the clock is running and the buzzer sounds when I turn the switch on. I've tried jumping it off and that doesn't work either. I changed the solinoid in between the battery and the starter on the firewall and that didn't do anything. I roll started it and it ran fine. Does anybody know what might be wrong? I need to get this thing going today. Thanks, Andy

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
If you jump the vehicl and it dosen't start then there is a huge load placed on the charging vehicle. That's not good... I'd check in this order.

1. Grounds.
2. Cables.
3. Battery (Charrge, pull and check it out on a load tester).

My guess is it's a combination of two problems... a bad battery and cables/ground.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the battery checked and it is good. The ground cable going from the battery to the block is tight. I guess I'll try some new cables. If that doesn't work is there any chance it might be the starter?

Thanks, Andy

·
Official Historian
8,340 Posts
LEVE nails another one with the first suggestion.

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Good call LEVE. Been there done that. My buddy spent 5 hrs pulling hair on his before he put his tail between his legs and came to me. He is a pretty good wrench too. I figured I was in for the worse, but I started with the simple things first. Man was he PISSED when after 5 min. I found out it was a bad ground at the block.

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
About a bizillion years ago I was in the TV Repair business... I charged a lady $^0 to replace a resistor on her TV... in fact I told her to wait and I'd be back in a few minutes with it fixed. She was really upset I charged her so much money for the repair. I tolt her:
1. It was only about $0.25 for the resistor,
2. And $59.75 to know which resistor to change.
3. And pointed to the "Estimate" sign which was quoted $60 (This would come off the repair if the customer chose to complete the repair.)
4. And pointed out she'd saved a quarter and waited only 15 minutes....

It didn't help.. she was still upset.

I had a lot to learn about the difference between being honest and salesmanship. I still prefer being honest and letting the concequences fall where they may over salesmanship...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.