Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The backup light switch on my '82 T176 tranny is toast. Nobody seems to have these. Every shop in town has them for auto-trannies, but none for manual. Who knows a place that would stock this item (other then the blood-sucking dealer)?

· Registered
1,929 Posts
There isn't much to that switch, are you sure it is the problem? If it is, then get the part number from your Jeep dealer and call around to some of your local parts stores(autozone, etc..). If they don't have it try calling 4wheel drive hardware or Leon Rosser. You can find their numbers on the web. I thought mine was broken but I figured out it was a shorted wire.

Tom

1985 CJ7
4WheelDriveWeb

· Registered
1,134 Posts
worse case, you can put a switch in the dash and flip it on when you back up /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, it's the switch. If I disconnect it and jumper the wire the lights work. With the gearbox in reverse I get infinite resistance between the terminal posts. So, the problem has to be inside the switch.

I've thought about the toggle setup on the dash, but I want to keep everything working the way it should if possible. May just have to bite the bullet and visit the dealer. Wonder if I can put my 1 year old up for collateral?/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, here's the deal. In '80, the switch for the backup lites on a T176 changed. If you use a pre'80 switch in a post'80 tranny (and vice-versa), the lites work all the time except in reverse. Just thought I'd add this to the vast array of searchable knowledge in this fantastic board./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.