Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just completed sand blasting the frame of my M38. It has been primed and painted but I hesitate to put it back together because of fear that the inside of the boxed area is still rusty. Is there a chem treatment that I can use to stop the rust? Any ideas would be appreciated.

80 CJ5, 52M38 Always carry a BFH and a screwdriver.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well.. shouldn't you have thought about that before you painted and treated the outside? Maybe use a liberal amount of naval jelly on the inside and rinse with a pressure washer... try that a few times.. It should help

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif 78 CJ7 "Issues" /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oxysolv is a phosphoric acid based treatment, do a search to find a local dealer...phosphoric acid is the active ingredient in naval jelly and just about every other rust converter...about $25/ gal. tape over the holes and swish it around it there, then flush with water...

· Registered
13,180 Posts
Ok... here's the plan:

Go to a cheap hardware store and buy the least inexpensive and smallest diameter steel chimney brush you can buy along with 30' of steel 1/4" cable. Cut the cable in 15' lengths. Trim the chimney brush to the size of the box frame (believe me this will take a while!). Weld the cable to each end of the chimney brush. Now thread the cable through the boxed frame.

Now start drawing that brush through the frame, end to end. If it doesn't hang up, you've got it made. If it does hang up... you are on your own.

This will knock down most of the scale an debris. Then get some rust converter and pour it in, spray it in, however you want and follow up with some good paint (not Primer). I yearly spray used motor oil into my frame to cut down on rust and I've heard linseed oil also does a good job.

· Registered
478 Posts
I agree with LEVE on the need to knock down most of the scale and junk that builds up in the frame. No rust converter alone will be able to handle the really chunky/scaley rust.

I've used Rust-Mort in the past and it has worked great for me. Be careful though as this stuff is highly caustic to skin/eyes and will lift paint/primer even if you just wave it past a surface.

'86 'glass CJ7, 33x12.5 BFG AT's 258, T5, D44

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.