Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently changed the gear oil in the CJ and noticed my diff covers are getting pretty beat up, so it's time for some protection. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with the Warn differential skid plates. I was thinking about them, mainly because the local store carries them and I wanted to save on shipping. My main concern is that from the catalogue they look more like diff covers, than actual skid plates. Does anybody know if they just go over the cover, or if they also cover the bottom and go around the back, so I can actually slide over obstacles? As an alternate, I'm thinking about the Rock-It differential gliders, anyone use these?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I used the ones from Crane Hi Clearance and wouldn't use anything else. They are expensive but very stout. Riddler also makes about the same ones.

www.cranecommerce.com

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
Check out the ones from Nth Degree. They protect the cover and extend under all the way to the other side, protecting the U-joints too. Both front and rear.

I made mine, then saw they had a similar thing.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I like my blue torch fab works.. But its just a HD cover not a skid for under the diff

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for some feedback guys. I'm definitely looking for more of a skid plate, than a cover. the nth degree ones look sweet, but might be a bit out of my price range. I'm kinda leaning towards the rock-it ones now, but wondering about their durability/clearance.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
why a skid? your not going to hurt the diff..

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been doing most of my wheeling at paragon, and it seems like that place is all rock, so I was looking for protection and to be able to slide over some of that stuff.

·
Registered
795 Posts
i've yet to find dirt at paragon...

people have made their own. just get some small flat stock, then some 3/8 inch bar stock. the flat stock is used against the diff cover with holes drilled in it. the bar stock is used to make a crude cage around the cover. all right angles, forming a box.

if all else fails, a stick welder, drill, cut off wheel and some time will make a set. it does not have to look good, just work.

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
And the rear diff. Actually they just sort of grew - I started out with just the cover, then added more underneath, then added more to that. I've made a few more since - they look better, but are essentially the same. The main backbone is 1/2" thick.

These are well used as you can see. Imagine what the stock cover would look like, and how many times I would have bent up the driveshaft yokes.

When I hear a crash or crunch underneath, I'd rather laugh than cringe.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I can see puting something on the diff so that lip will not lock on to ricks but other then that its fine. its hard stuff.

How ever I do like how your skid keeps the rocks away from the yoke.

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
Yup, hard stuff alright - till it shatters. Seen 2 like that, not pretty. Hopefully the skid distributes the impact over enough area to help prevent that. Plus there's a slight bit of "springy" to it too.
It's probably overkill for what I do with it, but that's better than underprotection.

Notice the rails on either side of the driveshaft - that helps prevent getting hung up on the big open area behind the tranny and ahead or the rear diff. Also well used.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts