Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifWell....our A/C unit we located in Texas was sold,/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif so we are still looking for a stock CJ7 unit. Jeepchick is going to need it when warm weather comes. Ask everybody that you know, and tell them that if necessary we can furnish in trade, a rare, LONG STROKE YORK compressor to sit on their engine in place of that measly air conditioning short stroke York! The long strokers are the pump of choice for airing up those big tires. Be the first on your block to have one by finding this A/C unit for Jeepchick. Any real Jeeper would take out the A/C and put in on-board air,/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifif given an opportunity like this./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
hey there dave.. i have an a/c unit.. its a bestop bikini top ill trade with ya.. hehe.. she should just suck it up.. im in NC and have no a/c.. course i lose like 10 pounds over the summer here.. mmm... have an idea here for a weight loss program....

yep.. its the jeepgod..

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I informed Jeepchick this afternoon that it looked like we were going to be a customer of Arizona Mobile Air, or some such after-market air outfit. I will also check out the Johnnie Reb Jeep A/C site as well. Luckily I have a 1851 Colt Navy revolver to intimidate those southern boys with. That's something they understand./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Hmmmm.....and it's in San Diego.....we could DRIVE there and get it rather than risk shipping. I'll e-mail an offer on your private e-mail. Thanks for the response./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Jeepchick has that little hopeful expression again./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif The THOUGHT of coming out of a heavy concrete building, heavily air cnditioned, and hopping into a non-air conditioned Jeep has her worried. This is, however, predicated on the notion that we WILL, in fact, get this Jeep back together. There are still a lot of parts sitting around....some BIG ones./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

G

·
CJDave,
I have a complete A/C system from a 82 CJ7. Its complete and it was working 6 months ago when I took it out.

Hoot

79' CJ-7,AMC 360, T400, Dana 300, D60 and D30 4.10, All Fiberblass.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Hoot....thanks for responding....see your private enigma mail./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Dave-
I bought my second complete AC unit a while back.
If you are still considering a used unit, I'd look for one from a "city" Jeep that has had a hard top on it all along, from the northern climates preferably.
The first one I bought on-line was described as had been pulled at 50K miles and in "really good condition", It was a box of @%&* with holes in the condensor and a severely cracked fan housing and cooked switches with crumbling knobs. The first guy took this junk to a commercial mail packaging outfit and they charged a whopping $ 150.00 just to pack and ship the two boxes.
I returned the same packages for less than $ 30 bucks, including insurance.
(I also made him eat the outragous packing fee for being such a fibber)
The fan housing is the longest (largest) item AND the most fragile.
Don't allow the shipper to skimp on a box for that one.
Appliance stores are a good place to fine the appropriate long, large box/s.
Insist on a perfect housing and ask about the condition of the knobs.
This will give you an indication of the condition of the housing and switches.
If the knobs are rotting off (like the first AC) it will give you a good indicaton of the condition of the rest of the interior unit. The lovuers are another point to question about which will give indication as to condition.
I've been told that vinyl spray paint for car tops are a good surface spruce-up enhancement for the housing/s.
Both the AC's were in the $ 500 dollar range.
The second had already been converted to the newer refrigerant and has almost new switches (on a nice, aluminum face plate conversion for easy access) and hoses.
Don't even consider buying a used unit unless it is guarenteed to be in tip-top condition. It won't be worth the savings over a new conversion unit.
2 cents
John

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Thanks, John....it's good to see you post...it's been a while. I am quite surprised at how many units there seem to be available.....we were hoping to find just one good one. The compressor doesn't matter, but the rest is critical.....it's just about impossible to fix if it is real beat. Dirt Dog cautioned me about the flimsiness of some after-market air systems....so we will have to make sure that if we DO go after-market that we see the unit first. I will pass along this post to some of the guys who contact us so they can sort of evaluate their setup. Boy, by the time you paid shipping on a 500 dollar unit, you were close to the price of an aftermarket system which is 602 plus freight from Arizona. A stock unit would be preferrable, but by the time you replace the dryer, possibly the compressor, and maybe a hose, it would be crowding the new price unless you could buy a stock setup for about 300 plus shipping. I'm glad I saved a tank of F-12 from when it was still dirt cheap. I will need it to recharge a stock Jeep unit./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
CJDave, where, oh where, did you find that long-stroke YORK! All I can find are medium stroke Yorks with dual-belt pulleys out of GWagons. How can I tell what stroke it is without taking off the head-plate?

G

·
Boy Dave you are a 50's guy, F-12? Thats what the old timers in the trade used to call it, know you have to be proper and call it CFC-12. This way when you vent , and someone see's you , then they find it's a CFC, you go to jail and the nark gets $10,000.00 Can't believe what this goverment has done to the poor H.V.A.C guy just trying to make a living.So Dave if you play with that jug of F-12 i would do it in a inclosed dark area , as there is narks everywhere!!
Mike

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif 10-4 on the dark corner and F-12. I don't leave it sitting around that's for sure. #1, it might be stolen, and #2 the sleazy freonpolice could see it./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif One of the guys on the BBS showed me how to read the model numbers, and learn which pump it is. There are some of those available, with a double-groove clutch. I can check for you. Where are you located to ship to....that makes a difference on the cost. Wot's yer zeep code?/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I don't know if you are still looking for an A/C unit, but I was going through ebay and ran across one. The item number is 277414075, if you'd like to check it out

So many trails, so little time.
Semper Jeep

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
Shhhhh, we were keeping it a secret. That's Dave's bid on the unit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.