Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so it's coincidental. We just happen to be having a chili cook-off at work (Chili and -20 degrees, makes sense). I presently work (civilian contractor) on a NAVY base, so there are people from all over the US stationed here. I need recipies for awesome chili, but not too smokin'. BTW, I posted the "Chili Judge" story next to the announcement, HUGE laughs. I'm in Maine, so some of the fresh ingredients may not be available in my area, but I'll do what I can. BTW, my idea of chili is beans, hamburger, tomato sauce, and, for the magic ingredient, salsa. Needless to say, a good chili recipe wil probably be passed down from generation to generation. I promose to give the author credit so everyone knows where the recipe originated, please also include your location. I have cookbooks, but the best recipes aren't in cook books, and I have NO idea of what real chili is supposed to taste like.

So what does this have to do with jeeps you ask? Good question. The prize money will go into the Scrambler for another mod, I think it's $50, but hey, every cent is worth it.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205/7" Lift/33" Swampers/D44's F&R 4.10's & Lockrights

G

·
JEEPN:
Okay...this is cheating and being from Texas I can't believe I'm saying this. Quick, cheap, GOOD chili is to go to the grocery store buy a package of Wicke-Fowler's 2 Alarm chili mix (red package)... I know, I said this was cheating...Anyway the mix has all the prepackaged ingredients you need (cayenne pepper, chili pepper, onion, salt, masa, etc.. To go with it you need 2 8oz cans of tomato sauce, can of Ranch Syle beans, and 2 lbs ground venison or hamburger. Simply follow the directions on the package and put ALL of the cayenne pepper in it to get 3 alarm chili (you may want to add some more). Serve with large slices of cheddar cheese (or grated) and saltine crackers. Try it if you like it you can do your "own" customized receipe based that. DON'T tell them it came from a package, automatic disqualification :)
Maybe someone will give you a REAL recipe andyou wont have to cheat.

Shain

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Steals my jokes for his buddies,
Butts in to borrow trouble,
and slams me in a public forum,
And now has the gall to ask for Chili Recipe ...?....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!.
....You are a funny boy !.....

Here are two words for you, 'NO' & 'NO'.

'North Eastern Chili Cook-Off',... thats like saying, 'Maine's famous Cajun Gumbo' ...
Or 'Polite New-Yorkers'... FUNNY STUFF!

Besides, good Cajun or Texas chili can't be made in Connecticut or Maine or where ever...
No one north of Boston can cook (they just boil crustaceans-- seagoing opossums-- bottom feeders--), and you don't have, and can't get fresh ingredients, so it's going to taste like mud out of a can no matter what.

You get a few dried habanero peppers, and add it to lobster mush or what ever. No one up there will know the difference.
(They will be too busy trying to drink everything, (including out of the toilet) to put the flames out!)

That makes me think, I wonder how just a little habanero pepper would be with a good lobster bisque?.... Or real Boston clam chowder?....
Later!! I'm going to eat !!

All jokes aside,
I don't eat Maine lobster, or any other sea food from the north east coast.
I saw what the seafood eats while scuba diving up there once.
The north easterners use the ocean for a toilet and a land fill. The bays, including clam and oyster beds are full of heavy metals and industrial sludge.
Take your average land full, just add water, that's what the ocean floor looked like for two weeks of diving in about 20 different locations.
It's a shame really, everyone is so worried about land use, and the oceans are dying, smothered in garbage...

When a fool and a wise man argue, Onlookers can't tell the difference...

G

·
Or like saying you're the best Cliff Diver in Kansas, right?/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Seriously though, I can't remember the exact recipe, but Steak n Shake chili uses a can of Coke & several tablespoons of cocoa - if you can believe that! I have the recipe buried somewhere, but made it once & it was pretty good - real mild, though.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

G

·
Oh yeah, any chili I eat, I like to slop in some Worcestershire sauce. They should like that in the Northeast! Some folks add catsup for a little different twang.

If you really want to knock their socks off, start with a basic recipe in a big pot. Then, make several smaller pots & alter them to taste. Document what you do so you can duplicate it. We don't use a lot of fresh ingredients here (other than onions & garlic), but fresh peppers are available in all the St. Louis supermarkets, so I don't know why they wouldn't be in Maine.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In reply to:

'North Eastern Chili Cook-Off',... thats like saying, 'Maine's famous Cajun Gumbo' ...
Or 'Polite New-Yorkers'... FUNNY STUFF!

Besides, good Cajun or Texas chili can't be made in Connecticut or Maine or where ever...
No one north of Boston can cook (they just boil crustaceans-- seagoing opossums-- bottom feeders--), and you don't have, and can't get fresh ingredients, so it's going to taste like mud out of a can no matter what.

I don't eat Maine lobster, or any other sea food from the north east coast.
I saw what the seafood eats while scuba diving up there once.
The north easterners use the ocean for a toilet and a land fill. The bays, including clam and oyster beds are full of heavy metals and industrial sludge.
Take your average land full, just add water, that's what the ocean floor looked like for two weeks of diving in about 20 different locations.
It's a shame really, everyone is so worried about land use, and the oceans are dying, smothered in garbage...
You have no idea how right you are. I can cook, but it's hard without the right ingredients, and you're right, it could taste like mud and I'd say, "Mmmm, needs a little more garlic...", since I don't know what real chili is supposed to taste like. BTW, we don't always boil crustaceans, I have some friends (lobstermen don't 'cha know) that eat the lobster live. Drives the enviros nuts. They wanted to ban the boiling of live lobster 'cause they claim you can hear them screaming when they hit the water, therefore it's cruel and inhumane treatment of animals. I think the enviros wound up as lobster bait as it was never mentioned twice.

Yep, a good rain storm will cloud the water for 5 miles and 3 days. The crap on the roads, especially in the winter, winds up washed into every cove. Lobsters are bottom feeders, but in their defense, so are a lot of fish, and they taste GREAT! (just a PITA to clean) Lobsters are like large shrimp, and to endulge in a famous quote, "There's shrimp stew, shrimp scampi, shrimp sandwiches, shrimp kabobs, creole shrimp, cooked shrimp, peeled shrimp, shrimp gumbo, shrimp sauce, shrimp dip, shrimp, shrimp, shrimp..." (Forest Gump). And we resemble the remark about the toilet. Yesterdays paper, a cruise ship "unloaded" a charge of raw sewage out into the harbor when visiting. Unfortunately for them, a House of Representatives boat was under the discharge during the event. Bet we have some tough laws now (more work).

Also on another related note. Sebago lake, in western Maine, is about 65 feet deep. It used to be an excellent fishing lake. A Secchi Disk is used to measure the water clarity. Basically it's a white disk on a line, when the disk disappears, you read the depth on the line and that's the measure of it's clarity. In the last 20 years, great pains have been taken to reduce all forms of pollution going into the lake. The Secchi reading used to be 10 feet, not too bad. Now they're 45 feet, unbelieveable! There is a downside. There are no fish. The lower forms of life on the food chain (no jokes please) needed the "pollution" to survive, removing it caused a lake wide failure of aquatic life. They're now rethinking their strategy and trying to restock the lake. This is what happens when enviros get their hands on something, they never fully research it until it's too late. Sure it's a great tourist lake, but what will husbands use for relaxation? Lobsters are bottom feeders, it's true, but they use a filtering action to eat, which is why they taste so good. So without the pollution, lobsters would taste like, well, anything but lobsters. BTW, in the early part of the century, lobsters were considered animal food. The potato was also considered "fodder food" at one time.

Damn, how am I going to learn how to cook if all I have to work with is stuff people wanted to throw out at one time. Don't even get me started on clams, scallops, mussels, and fish.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!

G

·
Here goes ---

It is much easier to answer the question, "How do you build the perfect Jeep?" than to tell you how to cook chili. Beans, no beans, what kind of meat, how hot, chili pepper on not -----

Beans/no beans can be divided about like Jeep/every other 4x4. Personally I like beans and am not a big fan of chili pepper, do like it hot - spicy we say in Texas. A few habeneros will get your attention.

You can't go wrong if you get a big heavy cast iron dutch oven or big iron stew pot, put it over an open fire, brown the meat - some pork sausage, some hamburger, some deer or moose meat, possums, whatever (NO FISH OR WATER CRITTER OF ANY KIND) - brown it well, add water and enough pinto beans to make the final mixture about 50/50 beans and meat. Plenty of onions, some garlic, peppers to taste, salt or beef bullion. If you use the bullion, don't salt because the bullion is salty. The idea is to get the smoke flavor from the open fire well into the mixture. Cook it slowly. 24 hours is good. Low heat, lots of smoke, open pot. If you cook too fast the water will boil out. Shouldn't boil at all. You can mix meats. In fact a mixture is better. You can also mix beans ALL DRIED BEANS, BTW, no fresh beans. If you mix the beans, make it at least 50% pinto. Add some black beans, a few black eyed peas, some red kidney beans (a lot of people like these beans better than pintos. I prefer the pinto). Would not use any of the white or flat beans. Put a good dose of black pepper corns in the mixture. Do not crush them - whole pepper corns. Do not put anything GREEN in the mixture unless it is hot or very hot - peppers. Hot red pepper is ok. Some people like tomatos either as sauce or in small chucks in their chile. I don't use tomatoes at all. Do serve them sliced and cold as a side, however.

Serve with crackers, ice tea, fresh onions, grated cheese, or better yet with good corn bread also made in a cast iron skillet instead of the crackers.

Last thing - the meat. If you use a fat meat, the flavor is usually better, but it is best to get rid of the fat once it has served it's purpose. After a long cooking process, dip most of the fat off the top and throw it away. Taste frequently during cooking. Some foods depend on a mixture of decernable tastes as you eat, also desernable textures in the same dish. Chili is more of a blend than a series of differences. Of course, you can cook it down too much and wind up with tasty hot mud. That's the reason for the low heat cooking. Still maintains enough of its texture, but blends the flavor. The pepper corns I mentioned before?? Well, they supply a burst type difference in both texture and flavor. They tend to maintain themselves as a definable particle, and when you bite down on them, it gives you a little pepper zing all in one spot. It isn't the heat of the REAL peppers, but it's there none the less.

REAL Chili is supposed to be pepper hot, meaty, cooked for a long time and with UNdefinable ingredents. That's one of the reasons for the bean controversy. If it has beans in it, they are recognizable. Chili is the art of taking a bunch of totally UNedable mostly brown colored stuff, mixing together, cooking a long time and making people think it was food to begin with. The peppers are there to kinda take your mind off what else might be in it.

It's like a Jeep - built to taste. Have fun. Good 'ol down home Maine Chil???????????? New England clam chili?????? The cat receips sound better.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
My Web Site

G

·
Re: Need Chili recipies..help! small addition

Your open fire???? Should not be the typical northeastern type fire -- old tires, motor oil, garbbage, unruly neighbors, cats etc. The type wood is very important. Nothing treated, nothing green, nothing sappy like pine. A good dry hardwood --- oak, hickory - pecan and mesquite are good, but doubt that you can get either. Mesquite actually burns a little too hot for good open fire slow cooking. Probably what people burn in residental open hearth fire places will work ok. If the aroma is ok in the house, it will probably be ok in the chili. The wrong fire wood can be a disaster that even peppers can't cover up.

The finished chili should be thick. Thick from cooking, not thick from adding thickening stuff like tomato sauce, or corn starch.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
My Web Site

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

NOW WAIT JUST A DAMN MINUTE! NO MAPLE? That's where I draw the line. I have oak, maple, birch, pine (yuck!), alder, driftwood, fir, cedar, willow, beech, locust, and a few non-specifics. No maple, are you serious? Mesquite, pecan, and hickory are a little rare, rank right up there with the tumbleweeds. I appreciate the recipe, CJDave, I'll try not to make it turn out like mud too awful bad. Of course, if it sucks I'm blaming you, then I'll UPS it to you so they break the package and it ferments in transit. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!

·
Registered
6,784 Posts

Damn, now you have done it! You just gave away about 8 out of 12 of the real chili secrets....
I'm sending the REAL TEXAS CHILI POLICE TO YOUR HOUSE !!
(I'm glad you didn't know about the cajun stuff....)

I cook mine just to the point of being scorched to the pan, then make the soup.
That burnt/ scorched taste is good, but will get way too overpowering in about a half a second. You really have to be on top of it.

There is a place in AZ, (a GREAT food state) called Southwest Specialty Foods in Glendale AZ. (The phone is 1-800-536-3131) They have a catalog.
They make a product called, "AssKickin' Green Chile And Corn Stew", that is advertised as "Kick Yo' Ass Hot!", and they mean it! Comes in a little box, and will make you think your hair is melting...
You can do it in a crock pot, but most people will think you are doing chemical weapons testing in your house and you will see guests fight to drink out of the toilet!

If you have to eat chili out of a package, this stuff is pretty good, but it needs meat, no matter what the package says. About anything will do, opossum, ****, weasel, wombat, hamster, cat, just about anything. I prefer the game taste in the chili, so I almost always use venison or rabbit.
I killed a Spam once, and it didn't make very good chili. The dog liked it though...

I think you can get dried and canned Habanero peppers there too. I don't know if they have 'fresh' stuff for shipment.
I don't consider the stuff 'fresh' if it's been off of the plant for more than a couple of days, and the skin gets thick... It just doesn't dissolve right once the skin gets thick.

For the real cooks out there.... I only have two words, Justin Wilson. 'Nuff said?

Later folks, Aaron.

When a fool and a wise man argue, Onlookers can't tell the difference...

G

·

try a mixture of birch and alder. very common in the nw. imparts a nice sweet flavor. chili as with bbq is a labor of love. requires time and testing.

dan

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.giflet it snow/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·

I don't know about some of that wood, but do know that if you use locust, you will do it ONCE and only once. Even the dog won't eat the result...... experience talking. Never used it, but would have thought that maple would be good. Cedar??? Big NO, NO. Driftwood? Would absolutely choose it over locust or cedar. At least you would have a POSSIBILITY of something good happening.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
My Web Site

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I was thinking of the driftwood that washes up on shore all the time. Being in the salt water, it needs a little time to dry, but when it burns, it burns with pretty colors, won't need to add salt either /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif. Probably all that hazardous waste and landfill material Aaron mentioned. Aahhh, but the flavor it would contribute! I only put Locust in the lineup because it's wood and found in Maine. I akin it to crabgrass, what a pain in the neck. Once it dries it's like iron though, great for building if you can keep it from cracking. I'm going to pick up (ot is it ATTEMPT) to pick up some of the ingredients today, have to travel to the big city (Ellsworth), to do some shopping, monthly trip don't ya know.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!

G

·
Re: Need Chili recipies. News paper article today.

In today's Houston Chronicle:

Japanese Ambassodor Shunji Yanai appeared to have received a thorough briefing on Texas before his visit to Houston and his appearance before the Asia Society last week.
He began his remarks with reference to the Alamo. And he even spoke of that mythical heroic figure Pecos Bill.
Yanai said Pecos Bill supposedly died as the result of a dinner of barbed wire washed down with nitroglycerine, but he said the real cause of Bill's death was a meal of Texas chili.
As a precaution, Yani said he was going to avoid the chili.

And the Japanese wonder why Texans didn't break under torture in WW2. /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
My Web Site

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.