Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 92 jeep cherokee 4.0 with the inline 6 in it and I have over 210 000 miles on the vehiclei don't know if I should just rebuild my current engine or switch it out with like a V8 or something. I plan to lift her 6 inches and put 33x12.50 on as well as a rear bumper with a tire carrier and a front bumper eventually as well.

so if anyone can give me any advice that would be amazing.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

· Registered
4,117 Posts
Well if your gonna do a 6" lift on it, you obviously must have money to burn, so do a stroker motor out of your 4.0. You can stroke the 4.0 all the way up to 5.0 and get quite a bit more from it and not have to try to come up with new engine and trans mounts or have to hack anything up to try to make it fit cause it already fits.

· Registered
421 Posts
If you've been fairly happy with the performance of your jeep but want a little more, rebuild it with a slightly torqueier (spelling) cam, sometimes referred to as an RV cam. When you put larger tires, plan to regear the axles at the same time. I have to admit I have never practiced everything I've preached, due to lack of funds. I've put larger tires and never regeared anything. I only have used more pedal to make up for the lack of performance, at the expense of fuel economy, acceleration, torque, clutch, etc.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was originally going to be what i was going to do was just rebuild it and you know change a few things to get a little more out of it. However about a week or two ago she started acting up and i found out i lost compression in two of my cylinders and she is misfiring really bad now and doesn't run so well. So now I don't know what I'm going to do whether i get just another 4.0, rebuild the one i have or just upgrade to a new tranny and engine.

· Registered
28 Posts
Stroker all the way.

I must admit, I am alittle jelous. You have the oppertunity to do something that I have always wanted to do, stroke a 4.0l. Sounds like you need an engine rebuild any way. There are many options for stroking a 4.0. If you are intrested in the stroker build check out ajeepthing.com and "stroking the 4 litre" link in the popular links. Spend a little spend a lot or spend a whole lot there is a stroker for you. (240hp 250hp 260hp +300hp) Good luck, keep us in the loop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.