Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had some 4WD vibration for a while but it has gotten much worse. While replacing u-joints, I found that I have some moderate play in the front output shaft (perpendicular to the shaft). The bearing noise is very noticable when there is no torque on the driveshaft -ie. cruising in a flat spot where the diveshafts are kind of 'floating.'

I am not very familiar with what is available and what the best options are for the money. I've read some of the other posts about the GRSI. I also saw that RRO offers a '4.16 Crawler budget gears.' Are these essentially the same? My Zuk is a daily driver, so in the interest of time and money, I'm considering just installing a used t-case for now if I can find one. I'm running 235's and probably will for the next couple of years before going bigger. I am also without a garage unless I travel for a couple hours to my parent's, which is my main reason for looking for a bolt on fix instead of a rebuild.

I am mainly trying to decide which to buy - new(rebuilt) or used - niether??? Any advice/guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
William

I'll be back.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Well the quickest by far is find a replacment and stuff it back under there. You might want to see if you could find an 84 SJ410 transfer case, it will give you a 12% lower t-case for cheap if you luck into one.
Otherwise unless you wheel alot stay stock for now and save up for a 4.16 GRS type unit. The low range is nice, remember the gear set price will not include bearings, Unless you buy a "Deluxe" package...
If you where up in the mass area I would lend you one of my spares to get you going .. (You are down in Virginia I see in your profile...)

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html

G

·
The gearing kits we carry are a great way to supe' up your rig for trail action. However, they won't cure the front output blues. It is likely that all you need to do is change the bearing in the front output housing. Pulling the front case piece off is extremely easy, though changing the bearing will require a couple of specialty tools. If you've been dieing to get some low gears in there though, this is a great time for it. You can call me direct if you have any questions on the details.

http://www.rocky-road.com

G

·
Where are you at in Virginia? If you get the gears I'll help you put them in I have all of the tools to do the job. I have the 4.16 gears in my Samurai and they kick ass. It is well worth the money if you're going to take the t-case down anyway. You might as well do it all.If you have any questions e-mail me at [email protected]
ROB

G

·
All these offers to help strangers on this board, reminds me of a club. A club full of saints.
Keep it up brothers.
Alf.
Oh by the way anyone wanna come to my place and help me fit a new motor ?

He he.

G

·
Well NZ is just too far for me Alfie. Crow Horse is there right now though. I just don't know how to get a hold of him or I'm sure he would be glad to help /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Scott Whitmore
"Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality." Dalai Lama

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
$200.00 plus shipping for a T-case?!? I'll sell ya' one for $150.00 plus shipping or you could come pick it up at my house for $125.00. I've got 4 sittin' around collecting dust.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, about 45 minutes south of DC. For economic reasons I am thinking about taking Pauly up on his offer -- (feeling a little zook-poor lately). The more I thought about it having a spare would be kind of nice. I am sure that I will do the gear change eventually and could use my original t-case then to avoid/shorten down time. Thanks for offering your time and tools though - I really appreciate it.

I'll be back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.