Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a bigger gas tank for my 89 Wrangler. It has the 15 gallon now, and I would like to upgrade to a 25-30 gallon tank. What are some companies that can make this for me and how do I contact them? About how much money am I looking at spending if I go through with this?

Kenney Johnson
San Diego 4 Wheelers
89 YJ w/ 98 XJ 4.0, Dana 60, "stuff"
www.sd4wheel.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've had good luck with Aero tanks in Corona, CA. They have a 26 gallon tank listed for the YJ, but they are able to make anything you want, within reason, if you are willing to pay! I don't have their number, but they advertise widely and you could call 411 in Corona for their number. They built a 33 gallon tank for my Scrambler 2 years ago, put in extra baffling for EFI,and an extra thick bottom plate (for the inevitable taildragging!) for a total of about $450. Hope this helps, good luck.
P.S. If you have the plastic 15 gallon tank, it is easily modified to 20 gallon capacity by removing the extension tube that is in the vent hose from the filler neck. It is easily removed if you can get the smaller hose off from the tank, that comes down from the filler neck, and with a large tap (approx 5/8"-3/4")screwed partially into the tank tube, you can extract the vent hose extension present in the 15 gallon tank. This modification allows the tank to fill to the same level as the plastic 20gallon tank! If you can't get the extension tube out by pulling on the tap, remove the tank,(easy if you are nearly empty) remove the sender unit/pump module and you can reach inside the tank and pull out the extension tube with your hand (wear gloves if your hands are sensitive to gas) It's advisable to have a new gasket handy, as the old one is usually torn or cracked.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CJ-8/5.2Mag is right about removing the filler hose..BUT I believe that only works on 90 and up Jeeps...there was a small design change after 89...not positive on that but I have read that a lot of different places, I too have an 89 Wrangler and want a bigger gas tank and I checked into the filler hose situation and I don't think it is possible. Don't quote me on that...check it out and let me know.

absolutjeep

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've done the hose modification--works great and costs nothing. The hardest part is getting the hose clamps off because they are in awkward positions(I did not drop the tank).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 15 to 20 gallon same tank thing won't work for my Jeep. Only 91 to 95 Wranglers used that tank. My 89 has the steel 15 gallon. Back then it really was two different gas tanks for the 15 and 20 gallon. If I can find a 91 to 95 gas tank I may just use that one, but so far no luck. It looks like it will bolt right in.

Kenney Johnson
San Diego 4 Wheelers
89 YJ w/ 98 XJ 4.0, Dana 60, "stuff"
www.sd4wheel.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.