Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have a nasty vibration that shakes the whole Jeep, but it's not coming up through the steering wheel. It only happens when I'm over 30, but doesn't seem to stop (though I haven't been above 55) until I let off the accelerator. I can keep going the same speed and it won't vibrate until I give it gas again. I replaced the U-joints this weekend and it didn't seem to change. Is there something that I could have done wrong with the install that would have kept the vib? It seemed to start after I replaced the head gasket and jammed on the throttle a few times having fun squealing the 31s. I never felt it until after this. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks for your help.

sal

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You very possibly could have broken a motor mount when you gave the motor a sudden full throttle. If it is a 6, they are long and heavy and very hard on motor mounts.

Brad
Get active or get locked out, the choice is yours.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is also possible that you broke the tranny mount bolt on the skidplate. Or you may have loosened some of the tranny-engine bolts or the tranny-t-case bolts. Or you may have streched/broken a U-bolt. Or you could have thrown a weight off of a tire, this is the most likely since it only happens above a certain speed. Look at your rims and see if there is a clean spot in the shape of a weight. Or take them to the local tire shop and have them re-balanced. Sometimes a tire can shift on the rim and this can throw the balance off. You could try swapping the front tires to the rear and vice versa, if the vibration moves to the steering column, one of you tires is unbalanced. Good luck,

Nick Hagen
1995 Wrangler
33" Mud Tires and a four banger

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, forgot to mention that I had the tires rebalanced today. Absolutely no change. Thanks for the suggestions so far...

sal

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Remove the cover on the rear diff, see if you can see any damage to the ring and pinion gears or the spider gears.

Nick Hagen
1995 Wrangler
33" Mud Tires and a four banger

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
check the wheel bearings...and the little pin that holds the bigger pin that holds the spider gears...i have seen that come out and the big pin hit the gears until i hit the throttle a bit..

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you drop the t-case? If not, you could be getting driveline vibration, and not notice it until after 30mph... Though, if it stops at a certain speed...

Another Jeepgeek!
Jon YJ94

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.