Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 88 wrangler has a strange vibration. I can't quite figure it out. Here's what it does: I had it on the highway yesterday and once I got up to around 65 I could feel a vibration in the floor by my feet, and I could also feel it in the steering wheel, so I assumed one of my front tires was out of balance or something. Then I was driving along, and with no change of speed(or anything else for that matter) the vibration stopped. I had about an hour drive, and the whole time it would start and stop for no apparent reason. Anyone have any ideas on what this could possibly be, because I am really stumped.
Dan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any time I feel a vib the first thing I thik of is a u-joint. You might have been right at the starting point of the vib so small changes in speed caused it to come and go. Does it go away when you let off the gas or push the clutch in?? If it stay then it is prob. a tire.

I have had a vib problem that is hopefully fixed now, Had to reset the pinion angle. Any way, do a search on Vibration, there is a ton of good stuff there.

Good luck
Bill

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The vibration does not stop when I let off the gas, or push in the clutch or apply brakes, etc... There is nothing I can do to make it stop,
except it doesnt do it when I go under about 55mph. And when it does do it, it is off and on for what seems like no reason. Should I have my
tires balanced and driveshafts? Also where can I get one of those angle finder things to check my pinon angles?
Dan

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had a very similar problem. But my vibration would continue util I came to a complete stop. It would make a worring noise that I could feel in the steering wheel and foot pedals. I thought it was the transmission. It turned out that it was my manual locking hubs were worn out and needed replacing. This took me three months to figure it out.

GE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts