Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problem-I am driving down the road, and the CJ7 can just dive right or left and there seems to be more play in the steering.
Okay, I made sure when I put the 4" spring lift that my draglink would be nearly level with the steering arm (drop pitman arm & tie-rod ends moved to the top, steering stabilizer). I know this cures bumpsteer. I have also put on a 1" body lift - this is where I think my problem is. After lifting the body up to install the lift, the steering shaft is no longer snug in the collar coming off the firewall.
Is there any cure? I would like to be able to go down the street without running over pedestrians!

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
im not sure what you mean by snug in the collar.. but.. if you drill out those two plasitic pins.. you can seperate the shaft.. take that lower (thinner) piece out.. lube it up.. and put it back in.. and you should be able to lengthen it that way.. so you can snug it in there..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
survival is instinct, but living takes guts

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
It sounds like you are getting wander, not bumpsteer. Did your spring-packs have shims on them? If not, did you install shims yourself? Are they facing the right direction?

!Look into this first!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't think shims didn't do any thing except to correct pinion angle. Can they also affect the steering??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shims affect your caster angle.
Josiah

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts