Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
Re: My new AJ\'s Fiberglass Tub!! with Picture

I don't really think you are going to find the reinforcement plates heavy enough to tap for the windshield
hinges, they're not really thick enough. Another thing you didn't mention about the AJ's body is the
end grain balsa rather than plywood used in construction. The plywood will eventually separate while
the end grain balsa actually wicks the epoxy into itself and becomes part of the body rather than a piece
of wood in a cavity. The biggest problem I have with my AJ's body is the reinforcement plates for the
spare tire mount have come loose and caused a bubble in the 'glass. This may have ben my own fault
because I got them pretty hot when cutting out for the tailgate. I've had mine for about six years now. I
bought it back when they still used the Kevlar which they didn't recommend at the time but I've had no
problems with it. I also asked nicely and they did the outside in the black gelcoat, since I was using a
dark color paint, I thought any scratches wouldn't show as bad.

I actually got what I think was a Shell Valley delivered to the house. It was a good thing that I had
bought it through J.C. Whitney because there were no problems when I sent that junk back. It was real
bad, some of the pieces, like the floorboards, had been unmolded too quick and had warped.

Did you get the one piece front end?

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
Re: My new AJ\'s Fiberglass Tub!! with Picture

If you talked to AJ, he must have made a remarkable recovery. I was told that he was deceased six
years ago when I bought my body, his widow was running the business then. Maybe it was AJ Jr., well
you can call me A, or you can call me J or...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.