Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't driven my CJ in a while and I got in to find out there are no breaks. The pedal goes to the floor. I can see which wheel is leaking and it's the rear driver side. I bought the cylinder to replace and I also bought the spring kit that has all the little springs. I wanted to replace everything (it is almost 20 years old) but the parts store didn't have the backing plate for the drum. Do any of you know where I can get this new? I think I have the stock AMC 20 axle.?. Or do you have any suggestions for swapping out my old cylinder?
Thanks, Jeff

'83 CJ7 258 i6 31x10.5 3in. lift? /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
What is wrong with the backing plate that you want to swap it out? Seems like more of a PITA than it's worth. As for removing the wheel cylinder, soak the bolts in penetrating oil for a few days. Then take a brass or fiber brush and clean all the junk off the fitting at the end of your brake line. Take a piece of sand paper and sand all the rust off of an inch or two of the brake line behind the fitting. Then take a propane torch and heat the wheel cylinder. Try a wrench. USE A FLARE NUT WRENCH! If you don't own one and you have to choose one I recommend Husky from Home Depot vs. Craftsman(looser tolerances IMO). If it still won't turn heat again. Do this a few times. More penetrating oil can't hurt either. If you can't get it off without twisting the line you are going to need to replace the line as well. You will then need to repeat this process at the junction block on the rear axle. But if it does come loose your set. Take the line off then the wheel cylinder retaining bolts. It they break who cares. Go to the hardware store and get a couple more. If the brake shoes are soaked with brake fluid you should consider replacing them. Oh by the way check the cylinder on the other side as well. If that one went the other can't be far behind. Look at your flexible brake hoses while your in there too. Good luck and have fun.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would check that backing plate thoroughly before trying to replace. They are usually pretty thick and can be cleaned up/painted... If yours is so gone, I think you'll need to find either good used ones (start searching for bent AMC20s...), dealer or special order if you can.

Jim O'Brien
[email protected]
My jeep page

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
The only time I've had to replace a backing plate was on a Chevette because the rear adjuster was obital riveted on and one had broke.......no replacement...but the dealer had a generous supply of the backing plates. Otherwise the only service that I've had to do to the backing plates was to put a new finish on the 6 or 8 little rectangular raised surfaces that the shoes slide on. Apply light coating of lithium grease before assembly.

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.