Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif I collect information on Jeeps in a loose-leaf technical file, and I have to tell ya, it is getting HUGE! I have increased the size of the binder three times now, and I can see that I am going to have to go to separate binders for the various subjects: Ignition(of course); smog; gearboxes; engine(tune up,VACUUM); the list goes on. If there was a tech manual available that had all this in it, you'd need a hand truck to take it outa the store. This BBS is AMAZING! We started out 18 months ago to do a few things to our CJ7 to make it the ultimate SNOJEEP, and well.....we did a LOT MORE than we planned(and STILL are) and we did a lot of things DIFFERENT than we planned which is the important thing.
This BBS is a combination of guys with factory, dealership, and technical school training, racing and performance-build backgrounds, welding and fabrication, body and paint, rock and mud crawling, welder and torch re-engineering, and daily Jeep driving. I am constantly amazed at how much I learn from reading this page, and what good ideas come from these threads./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Sure, it takes a lot of beer to keep these moonguys/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif happy, but overall it's well worth it./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
Uhh, Dave, wouldn't it be easier to just keep it on a floppy or on your hard drive. I was doing the notebook thing until a while back,
then it started to get cumbersome just as you mentioned. BTW, I've been scarce around here lately, been working on something
that I think you guys will like, you'll know more next week.

Brad
Get active or get locked out, the choice is yours.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif Uh...er...we don't know how to do that yet./wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif We have the stuff, but not the know-how./wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif I'm a 1950's kind of guy./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Engines and transmissions...no problem. Moving data around inside the compooter....well, that's a little harder./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
You know, CJDave, I had the same thought after spending an hour or so reading postings on this BBS. I'm new to this forum, and I'm really impressed by the quality of responses. There is a massive, massive knowledge base here on this site. You couldn't purchase this much information in a ten-volume 4WD encylopedia! And to think it's right here at our fingertips with a nifty search engine to boot. Quite a treasure ---for people tinkering & building up their favorite machine . . .

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I know what you mean CJDave about moving things around in a computer. My solution was to go to the local Junior College (Clark College Vancouver Wa.), pay $150, and got some much need computer skills. I'm not quite into my 50's, but I'm less than a decade away. If your near a Junior College, and get some computer classes, most of the students in night classes will be the same age as you and I! I'd say start with a Window's 95/98 class first, then into a MS Word class next. The two classes I took helped me lots! Now all I need to do is get the pictures to move around, text in no problem.
dave

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
what I like is that since the new board came out I do not have to worry about" My toyota is better than your jeep" flames. It is nice and quiet I can almost leave my puter on and sleep in the same room. No more yelling or cussing......................Beside the data nice tooo

brownbagg

G

·
you need to publish your book there dave. i wouldnt mind a copy. always adding stuff to the collection.

dan
NECESSITY IS THE MOTHER OF INVENTION
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gifLET IT SNOW/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif You're right about that, Johnny Reb. This is one board where a real beginner can ask a real dumb question and not be made to feel diminished. The truth is, that no matter how dumb something seems when someone asks the question, there are probably a lot of folks out there THINKING it but were afraid to ask. So yeah, if the board doesn't have a certain degree of kindness (Which THIS board certainly has) the guys who don't know much will never be able to learn anything./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif First it was Quadra-Tracs, and then we got all that data and all the really good QT stuff; then it was carbs and intakes; then it was emissions, which is a whole book in and of itself; then TeamRush begins an entire college course on ingition upgrades, and several other technical subjects that they don't even teach in ASAE skool. In between all that was the on-board air, the clutch fan VS electric, and the durabak liner thread. There is literally no end to it. Oh....did I mention the '73 Blazer w/ A/C fan motor CJ heater upgrade? SHEESH! We had better hope that a man from Mars doesn't land close by and ask: "Uh....why don't you guys just use the Jeep like it came from the factory?"/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif That might be a tough question./wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif You know,....now that I think about it, they HAD a computer at Junior College. It was the size of a classroom, and it reported on a strip of white adding machine paper. Lessee, that was 1961, and Kennedy was the prez, not a scumbag like now./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Dave I'd buy a copy of yor "book" but I don't think I can afford the shipping./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

I knew everything when I was 16......How come I'm so stupid now?

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
Kennedy was the prez, not a scumbag like now??? I remember it differently.

Top ten reasons why Kennedy was not as big a scumbag as Bill Clinton:

10. Kennedy bought the media
9. We believed our own propaganda machine and didn't pay as much attention to OUR government
8. The news media was too preoccupied with the cold war and communism
7. The feminist movement hadn't begun yet
6. Kennedy's daddy already made the family fortune bootlegging scotch
5. Kennedy had two brothers to help hide the bodies
4. We didn't have cable news channels
3. The censors would never have allowed talking about sex on TV in the 60s
2. Congress didn't shut down the government and cause an intern to bring Kennedy a pizza
1.Kennedy didn't [email protected]@ off Linda Tripp

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
1961? The only trucks I cared about then were TONKAS

/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Oh, yeah, I had some ,BUDDY Ls, too!/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Sorry CJ Dave! I'll do my part and try not to be so long winded...
Do you want the info or short posts?

I could do like parts mike and just day everything is junk, you sould by this from me.... It's SO much better (because I'm $500 richer).../wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

later dudes, Aaron.

If Chris Columbus "Discovered" America (with 25 million already here), Can I Go "Discover" Florida?

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Spoken like a true, Liberal Democrat Klintun Apologist. You know, like Barney Frank, Maxine Waters, Charlie Rangle, Robert Toricelli and the rest of that bunch. Ron, do you really think JFK sold our national security to the Chi-Comms? Or got blow jobs from interns on company time, or perjured himself, or lied on National TV? But don't let me interrupt the liberal democrat he's-not-as-bad-as-so-and-so smoke screen. It worked so well with the congress, so hey, how could I argue with success?/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
I have a customer that is a computer science teacher at the local Jr. Collage.
He told me to get 'Windows For Dummies' and read the first six or seven chapters, and you will know as much as his two year students.
He told me if you read the entire thing, and re-read it again in six months, you will know more than any of his degree graduates after they have been out of school for six months...

Here is a tip... READ SETTING IN FRONT OF THE COMPUTER...
So you can try, hands on, everything you are reading about...

Here is another tip, ..... NEVER, EVER FORMAT THE "C" DRIVE JUST TO SEE WHAT IT DOES !!
That cost a fortune to fix...

It's pretty entertaining also, but what do I know, I'm a geek too...
I hadn't even turned a computer on until '95, and I didn't even have a work station until '96.
I hand built my new work computer my self last fall!! I love these things, they are so simple!
They are making them smarter so I can be dumber too!!

Later Folks, Aaron.

If Chris Columbus "Discovered" America (with 25 million already here), Can I Go "Discover" Florida?

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
Boy, you read me ALL wrong, Dave. I am an ultra conservative Republican. I hate Klinton and I hated
Kennedy just as bad. Give me another Nixon (or Reagan senond choice)

As for JFK;
I still think he had Marilyn Monroe killed because she was going to talk
He contracted with the Mafia to get the votes in New York and Chicago
He contracted a hit on Castro with the Mafia, then he investigated the Mafia, bad move
He voted all the names from Texas graveyards
He killed a lot of Cuban revolutionaries by failing to provide air cover during the Bay of Pigs
He almost started WWIII with his handling of the Cuban missile crisis
He is the one who got us into Vietnam although LBJ escalated it
He was a skirt chaser too and worse than Klinton
He was at the head of the US propaganda machine

This ain't no smoke screen, do you think anyone should consider a positive comparison to JFK as a
compliment? Don't forget, Klinton didn't get into real trouble until his second term, Kennedy never
made it through the first. I also don't think Lee Harvey Oswald had much if anything to do with that last
part.I think his actions after the shooting were because he looked in a mirror and saw "patsy" written
all over his face.

Save your "Liberal Democrat Klintun Apologist" comments for Eleanor Clift.

Gotta go, McLaughlin is on in a few minutes.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif Actually, Taz....I should have used Ike for a measure, and dropped back one notch to 1960. You know, when Regan was Gov here in CA, I didn't think he was all that terrific, then we got Jerry "Moonbeam" Brown, hippy extrordinaire, and safe-keeper of the Mediterranean Fruit Fly, which he refused to spray till it took overt CA agriculture. Has CA been screwed over, or what? I'm a fourth-generation native, and I can't WAIT to get outa here,(2002) and leave it to the homosexual-controlled democrat majority party, the illegal immigrants of EVERY national origin, and the tree-hugging, restriction-loving, liberal environmental whackos. They bitch about cutting even one tree, but yet build shopping centers on farmground which is IRREPLACEABLE. Go figure. Oh, and one more thing....Klintun was having people killed BEFORE he even went to washington. /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

CJDave

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.