Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Murphy\'s Law and My Projects!

As mentioned by others, I am beginning to get fed up with my projects. Seems like I read tons of posts by others (Most everyone else on this forum) about projects that they whip out in one afternoon. Mine are never that good. I you can do it in an afternoon, I get it done in two weeks.

As an example, I am putting a rollcage in the jeep and tying it to the frame. going along great, until the wire feed welder starts to give poor welds, and everthing starts sticking to the tip. Dirt Dog diagnosed it as not enough protective gas, so I cranked it up and completed the welds. But, the problems persisted. I checked the solenoid on the machine, and gas was flowing so I figured It must be me with the dificult welds. No such luck, a nipple that gets the gas from the tank to the hose cracked and was not getting any gas, or very little gas to the tip. Now all my very carefull welds need to be ground out and redone. All my carefull fitting will be destroyed, All my carefull paint prep and waiting for the weather to give me good temperatures, is down the drain.

Why does this sh*t happen to me! Sorry folks, just need to b*tch a little. I also need to grind out my tire carrier since I was working on it while waiting for the right weather to paint.

since I don't know when the nipple actually went, I will need to grind off all the old welds.

To top it off, no one around here has the part, so I need to wait for the manufacturer to send a new one. I already do a lot of grinding, now I just get to do that much more.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky

·
Registered
424 Posts
Re: Murphy\'s Law and My Projects!

All i can say man, is im sorry. your good times will come, and so will your bad times, just remember, dont take your good times for granted.
Andrew

·
Registered
6,394 Posts

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I preach to my moonguys all the time to treat stuff like this as "issues" instead of life-destroying problems. DIVORCE is a life-destroying problem; CANCER is a life-destroying problem; your kid ON DRUGS is a life-destroying problem. A few bad welds.......well, that can be FIXED, and you'll have quality life before, during, and afterward, so it isn't even ON the destruction scale./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Something I have learned about equipment is this: "If you THINK the equipment is not working right.......it probably isn't." TRUST your mechanical intuition on stuff like this./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Quadra-Trac Team./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·

You are not alone, trust me.............. I am one of those "two week" guys, but it still gets done /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Just focus on the finished project and expect the setbacks. /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif They seem to come with the territory. Sometimes (or should I say most times) when something isn't clicking together and I feel a "moment" coming on. I walk away from it for a while, sometimes even for a few days (you will more than likely need a garage for this option)./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Keep swinging.

I will now retire from the role of your mom. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Rawbin /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

1984 CJ-7 304 V8

torx: mistake, or did they do it to us on purpose?

·
Registered
5,140 Posts

any project that takes you 2 weeks will take the better part of a year, I know where your coming from.

I do one thing, 2 other things dont work out now.
fix the 2 things and the initial plan is bunk now.

this is supposed to be fun, im not so sure about that, I CAN say Ive learned more from this Jeep project than from 12 yeaqrs of public schooling, several more years of College, lots of techinical/trade schools. this project and the research and engineering involved have spurred me to new levels.

THat is the only reason it continues, and I vow to finish it.

well that and My father in law challenged thatI cant possibly put it back together, Ill pay the guys from toledo to reassemble it if I have to, screw that wicked old man.

Jeeps are a way of life

OzarkJeep

"Bare foot girls, dancing in the moon light..."

G

·

If you don't have ANY shielding gas the welds will look horrible, there will be huge pits surrounded by small pits, Is that what they look like ??? If not I would think again about grinding them out.
Nobody gets things done as fast as you think they do,it's all a pain in the ass...
If something goes really well, it's probably a faulty design, or a bad idea to begin with.
Adapt, overcome, continue to persevere, and all that...

·
Registered
389 Posts

Your not the only one, I built my full cage, made a real nice 2nd bar setup for the back passangers as an after thought, then after installing it I buy a $500 softtop and find I can't install it:( I had to cut the back cage out and weld in a different setup...that took awhile...

Luke
'77 CJ7 SOA Chevy 327
http://www.cj7jeep.com

·
Registered
269 Posts

dude, if it takes you only two weeks to do a one day job... dont feel bad, it'll take me 2 months do it. Look on the bright side... at least you live in Montana and can 'enjoy the big sky' daily. I'd give both my jeeps to live in Montana.

46cj2a beater and pile 0 parts.
75 cherokee parts pile

G

·

Dude, I'm the same way. Something that takes a pro a few hours takes me days. I bought a 3" lift kit & shackle reversal for my YJ. I couldn't get the steering stabilizer out of the tie rod- tried pushing it out with a gear puller like the manual says- no luck; tried using a hand held impact (no air compressor/tools, yet) & a 5lb mini-sledge- no luck; tried drilling it out- burned/broke $30 worth of drill bits. Snapped one of the new U-bolts trying to back off a stubborn nut. Front shocks refused to come off. So, after busting knuckles for 2 days & only succeeding in getting the front springs installed, I had to give up & tow it to the shop. Fun, huh? I'm not a moron, I've worked on Harley's successfully since I was a kid, but this friggin Jeep just didn't want to let me work on it, I guess.

Oh well. Bright side is that while it's in the shop, they're installing 4.56's & a locker in the back.

·
Registered
845 Posts

i agree with dirtrod, just look at your welds. if they LOOK bad, ( lots of small holes....it will be obvious) then grind those and reweld. if they look good don't touch them. it's not as bad as you may think.

shawn

The cup isn't half full or half empty, it's just twice the size it needs to be!!!

·
Registered
422 Posts

As my good wrenching buddy says, "Any project worth doing, is worth doing three times." /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Hope you get your roll bar done soon... and keep the top off for awhile.

'86 CJ7/AMC 360/TR Ignition/T999/D300/OEM D44 rear.../wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
4,143 Posts

Does anybody remember when I started my tranny/x-case swap? I dont remember how long ago that was, but it still isn't done. My jeep has been down for about a year now I think. And I used "bolt-up" parts!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Jeeper2:

I would love to keep the top off for a while, BUT, remember, this is Montana, we recieved 20" of new snow this past weekend, with excess of 4' in some of the local housing developments. Not good weather to not have a top on! I did do what most are suggesting, and walk away for a week, never even went in the garage. Now I need to get on with it.

I do have one question! Can you definitely tell by looking at the pitts in the weld if and when the gas quite flowing? Most of the welds do not have pitts, but they are not smooth "pretty" welds. I don't know if the welds are a result of welding in an unfamiliar position or the lack of shielding gas! Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
845 Posts

yes, you can tell. if there is no gas it will look really porous, (like lava rocks in your gas grill). if you are doubting your ability to tell the difference, get some scrap pieces, don't turn on the gas, and weld a few stiiches....that's what it looks like with no gas. i don't know what your welding standards are, but if you thought they were ok before you found out your welder was broken, they are probably ok now. i would doubt that anyone would weld w/o gas and think it looked like an ok weld. hope this helps.

shawn

The cup isn't half full or half empty, it's just twice the size it needs to be!!!

·
Registered
422 Posts

John,

I know, we only had 4 inches in Helena. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif The top was off my jeep a the time, so no jeep for a couple of days (we needed the moisture, so I won't complain). I use a bikini top and the full doors on cold days, it blocks 90% of the wind (even at freeway speeds). On the warm days, the doors come off. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I cover it for thunderstorms with a 10'x12' tarp and a set of cheap shock cords from Walmart that have plastic ends. With the tarp on and the doors on, the Jeep is waterproof (with doors off, the lower door opening is exposed).

'86 CJ7/AMC 360/TR Ignition/T999/D300/OEM D44 rear.../wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
1,271 Posts

I feel your pain. My recent project: oil leaks. I have a newly rebuilt 258 and have been getting some leaks squared away. I was VERY happy to discover that the leaks in my oil pan were due to a series of loose bolts. While retorqueing I snapped a bolt off into the block. Thus began my ordeal to get the friggin' thing outta the block. 2 days and many trips to the hardware store later, the bolt is removed. So I put a NEW high performance gasket on to replace the old cork one that came on the engine.

The thing leaked like a sieve! I'm talking, I could start the engine and watch the drips. So I take it all down (BTW, if you aren't familiar with the 258's this entails removing the passenger motor mount too) AGAIN... Gunk it all to hell with RTV and put it back up.

As of this morning, I've still got a pinhole leak somewhere. I'm hoping that it's just excess oil coming off the frame or something. Not bloody likely though.

So, my tally on this project so far: 3 weeks, $30 for the gasket, $10 in RTV, $5 in all new grade 8 bolts, $20 for a complete set of ez-out bits, and $15 for oil and filters (may as well do it if you're there).

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Jeeper2:

I forgot you live here also. I have begun grinding all the welds looking for porosity. I will clean them all up and redo those that need it. My two big concerns focus on the tie into frame weld and the one where I welded the pivot for my tire carrier. Both could cause serious headaches and future problems. I know the tire carrier will need to be redone, I can see the pits. The frame outriggers were done earlier in the game, hopefully I still had gas at that time.

G

·

Let me tell you a little about my experiences with my old buddy Murphy.....I reasured my wife that my YJ 350 conversion would only tie my jeep up for a week........I was served with divorce papers this morning - just kidding. Anyway, I put the engine together in my garage, went through the nightmare of peicing a TBI 350 together with the 7000 sensors, widgets, magic potions, and the various nickle and dime(read; $50-$1000)items. I got the bas#a%d running, tuned it in, painted it and in return it seized up on me. I dont know what happened, and to tell you the truth, I'm still too pissed about it find out. So, I got another engine and transfered the electronics and ect. to it. I though "Cool" im back in business - HA! I pulled the 2.5l, trans and case out, rented the cutting torches to get rid of the motor mounts and Mr Murphy stopped by again. I rented those knee-high torches, and they only carry 15 minutes of acetylne in them so I only get through one mount on the first day of my rental. I take the tank to the local welding shop, get the tank filled, come home, run out of oxygen in less than 2 minutes - sh#t. I get the engine in, and believe me, Im eating my "just one week, Honey" by this time, wire it in and - drum roll please - the (please insert you favorite string of profanity here) wont run. Did I mention that it ran fine on the engine stand? So after a week of tinkering, throwing wrenches, cursing, and, quite literally, weeping, I finally got it going. And I'll tell ya, Im just as happy as can be about it. So keep that in mind. If your welder is your biggest problem, youre a damn sight luckier than most of us. Take your knocks, and lick your wounds, and when you finally get that roll bar done you'll laugh about your "bad luck".

·
Registered
650 Posts

Hey Bluseman2a! I just went through pretty much the same thing you did, and came to find out the oil was leaking from the fuel pump gasket! No wonder it didnt matter how well I replaced the oil pan gasket!
Bob in Ma

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.