Off Roading Forums banner

MSD Ignition coil?

1K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
#1 ·
It's time for new plugs and wires. The wires are the orginals and after 7 years and 120k they should go. The plugs are Bosch platinum and they seemed to wear well, but even they are over 50K.

Anyway, I was thinking about putting on the MSD ignition coil (just the coil, not the iginition box) and possibly widening the plug gap. I know this topic was on here a few weeks ago and that's what got me motivated for this.

What I want to know is if anyone knows the part number?
Is the Blaster GM coil PN 8226 ($38.95 at Summit) the one I want for my 94 350 TBI?

Thanks,
Jack

1994 Z71 350, Xcab, Sportside, 285/75/16 BFG AT. Trailmaster 4" lift

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Weird, I just bought new plugs/wires/rotor/cap today RIGHT after I got the truck back. they haven't been replaced since the truck hit 30,000 miles and it as of now has a little over 130,000.....i think its time to replace them!

#3 ·
Right on Blue !!!!!!!!
Every 100,000 miles whether it needs it or not.

Actually, I thought this would be a good weekend to tackle it. I have to work, but I can work from home on the weekend. I figure since I'm gonna miss all the festivities, I can squeeze in a couple hours on the truck while nobody's looking. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

#4 ·
yes.......PN 8226 is the part number you need for your truck /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

definitely change out the wires and plugs...don't forget the cap and rotor. that way your whole system is flowin' well.

Shorts

Your what is stuck? /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

#5 ·
Don't open the gap up too far. The module doesn't like the added load on it. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Plus it'll cause the spark energy to drop off as you open them too much. I'd save up the $150 and get the MSD 6a box or a bit more to get the totally waterproof one... Worth it, and they'll let you open the gap much more... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column

#6 ·
I was thinking about .050 gap. Nothing too radical. Does that sound reasonable?

I figured since I was gonna be replacing wires, plugs, cap and rotor, I would go ahead and put the coil on. It's less than $40.

Thanks for the reccomendation on the MSD 6a. I was looking at some in the Summit catalog, but couldn't really decide what I should use, or if it was worthwhile at all for a stock motor. The only underhood mod so far is a K&N.

#8 ·
Shorts,

I have the same plans. I ordered the MSD coil and wires from Summit today. I was having a little harder time figuring out which cap and rotor to get.

How about the plugs? Do you have a part number for me?
I don't have any idea what reach or anything else I could chose from on Summit.

I was just gonna go to a local parts store and have them give me the right (platinum) plugs.

#9 ·
Just a thought, but the MSD boxes don't respond well to Platinum, Titanium, multispark, multipronged, etc spark plugs. They are designed to use regular copper tipped spark plugs. That is what they work the best with. I discussed this with a guy at the local auto parts store who discovered this with his 32 Ford and also a MSD tech. So if you are planning on running these when you put that MSD Offroad ignition box in, might just want to save yourself a few bucks and get some good, regular ol' Autolite plugs./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif That's what I am running.

I have the coil, the MSD 8.5mm wires, and my Autolite plugs at .050. Runs like a top.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2" lift, 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD stuff/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

#10 ·
SWEET. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Thanks AJM,

The only reason I really like the platinum plugs is that they last a long time, but maybe I'll just keep a few bucks in my pocket and use plain ol' copper plugs. Better yet I'll take a good look at the platinums that are in there now and just regap those if they look OK. Should be good for a while since it's not really my daily driver anymore.

O/T I added a little Honda Civic to the stable just to get me back and forth to work. It makes driving the truck even more fun on weekends.

#12 ·
true....delco has good stuff. of course, if he's feeling spendy, he could put in for a whole new MSD distributor!!! /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Shorts

G
#13 ·
Hey y'all. For what it is worth, here is my 2 cents. I run a Jacobs Electronic ignition kit. I have the ultra coil and pro-street pack ignition kit and all. And YES you should run copper tipped plugs. I don't like changing my plugs cause it so hard to reach them on my 98 Tahoe. I was told that Accel makes a spark plug that is compatible with these type of kits AND you don't have to change the plugs but about every 100k miles. I spoke to both Jacobs, and they said the Accel would work, and I spoke to Accel and they recommended a u-groove plug. I have heard some negative things about Accel before and therefore have been hesitant to buy the plugs. I had asked previously if anyone knew anything about their plugs...good or bad....and got no response. That is one option to use so that you don't have to change you plugs everything 20k miles.

Hope that helps some.

Bulldog

#14 ·
The plugs are pretty easy to get to in my '94. So it's not a big problem to replace them. The 4" lift makes it a little more of a backbreaker, but that's half the fun/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif I think I'm going with the Delco cap/rotor and copper plugs.

I got the coil and wires from Summit the day after I ordered them. Thumbs up to Summit for quick delivery. They only had to go from Akron to Cincinnati, so it was not too far. The guys in Michigan probably get just as quick delivery.

Bulldog... How do you like the Jacobs ignition? I have heard some negatives about them, but I think I might add an ignition box later, so I'm looking for any input.

G
#15 ·
You can also use Borg Warner.

One thing I noticed is that all that stuff looks like it comes from the same place no matter what the label says. But then again,,, I only have about 20/50 vision./wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifSomebody once said "Go Big" . . . Well we're goin' Full Size/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

#16 ·
i used the borg warner cap and rotor on the tahoe and it does well. i used the accel cap and rotor on my truck, only after i had it on for a while did i hear that their stuff wasn't so good.....but i haven't had any problems with it.

Shorts

#17 ·
To find out how crappy the Jacobs kits are, go to the Short Wheelbase Jeep board. Do a search for Username: TeamRush . The guy has his own engine building business. In his posts he has discussed exactly some of the tests he's put various spark boxes through and that the MSD was the only one that consistently survives the battery of tests... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif The guy knows his stuff so I'm definitely going with what he endorses... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column

G
#18 ·
Wish I would have read that a while back. My Jacobs kit sits in a box in my garage/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif On the brighter side, I'm not breaking down all the time. hehehehe /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifSomebody once said "Go Big" . . . Well we're goin' Full Size/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

#19 ·
Man, I just checked out a bunch of posts on the Short Wheelbase forum. I don't think anyone there likes Jacobs. The only good thing they had to say was that it could be disconnected easily enough when it breaks (which it will from what I gathered)

Anyway MSD was my 1st choice and after reading up on MSD vs Jacobs, I will definitely go with MSD. I wasn't even planning on adding the box yet, but all this talk has got me seriuosly considering it for my July project.

G
#20 ·
I haven't had a problem with my Jacobs. I have heard lots of negative things before. I hadn't heard any negative things before I bought it. The problems that people talk about have not effected me (knock on wood), but I'm sure that as soon as I post this something will happen. I haven't heard as many bad things about MSD, so my rec would go with the product that has a better reputation.

Bulldog

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.