Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to find a good write up on making your own MPI kit from a junk yard and i cant find any thing that helps me i have searched the board with no luck any one have a good site

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
How about custom efi or megasquirt?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
There's a lot written on using the GM 4.3 TBI on the 258. Do a google/yahoo search on "gm 4.3 tbi jeep" and you'll get lots of stuff.

also custom efis
diy-efi

There's also a "homegrown tbi" group on yahoo groups if you're interested.

You said MPI, so I'm guessing you mean 4.0 liter stuff. There's a lot written on swapping the 4.0 liter head onto the 258 also. yahoo/google should give you plenty to read on that too. Depends on which way you want to go.

I'm mostly interested in the 4.3 GM tbi, and those that have bolted on the complete system - without chip mods - and been successful. That project is on my list for "one of these days", perhaps for next summer.

Good luck
Pete

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i dont want tbi i want multi port i have looked on yahoo and google i know all about a 4.0 head swap i cant find a write up on what stuff i need off of the 4.0 to make it multi port like how to set up the wiring and sensors

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
i dont want tbi i want multi port i have looked on yahoo and google i know all about a 4.0 head swap i cant find a write up on what stuff i need off of the 4.0 to make it multi port like how to set up the wiring and sensors

[/ QUOTE ]

You Aside from the head and manifold, you'll need the ECM, the wiring harness and all the sensors... and a whole lot of paitence.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks leve i kinda fig i needed all that Im really trying to find a good write up on the swap i know i am going to need to get a diffrent vibration dampener so i can put the cps on the the front of the engine. Im trying to see what alse stuff like that i need

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks i found 2 of those sites earlyer when the time comes i guess it will be a trial error till its working

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Go to Hesco's site, you can download instructions, tips, etc.

http://www.hesco.biz/mpi/instructions.html

Should help a bit I would think.

They are big in the MPI add-on buisness.

I don't know much about the add-on, I seem to remember reading that a common problem reported was pinging with the 4.2 head, but I don't know if that's still a current issue or not.

Pete

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have heard of the pining to and alot of people just put an adjustable fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
Pinging has to do with either too much advance or too lean a mixture. The computer fires the injector for a programmed amount of time. If the fuel pressure is increased, more fuel is pushed through during the same duration therefore increasing the richness of the mixture.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts