Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the Mopar fuel injection kit on my 83 CJ and have excessive pinging at 2800 RPM in 4th and 5th. The engine was
bored 40 over during rebuild. I'm running 4:10s with 32s. My solution was to install spacers on the crank sensor which I believe
retarded the timing about 10 degrees and has killed my power at freeway speeds. Can't make the smallest hills in 5th. Any ideas
how to solve this without killing my power? Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
10 degrees is ALOT to retard the timing. I can understand why your power is gone. If you can, try retarding the timing only a couple of degrees. If it takes more than that, the system may be running lean. Also, when the motor was rebuilt, did higher compression pistons get installed by mistake? This would also cause the pinging you have. Good Luck!!!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
When you shim your crank angle sensor to retard timing, you also must sync your cam angle sensor. In order to do this, you have to cut the indexing tab off of your dist. so you can turn the position of your dist. and bring it back in sync. There is a function in the p.c.m. which will allow you to retard your timing up to about 4 deg. I would try this first. If you still get pinging, then try shiming the crank angle sensor, and re-indexing the dist. to match. The position of the dist. in relation to the crank angle sensor is only about 1/2 as much.

There is a function on the v-8 Mopars to re-sync the can angle sensor, but on the spfi kit, you only get clocking numbers. The higher the numbers, the better. You will have to make an educated guess to get it's position correct.

Don't forget, It takes about a 100 miles for the system to re-learn. So drive it a couple of days between changes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.