Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get 9 mpg after moving to Florida. I was getting 16 mpg in Arizona with A.M. temps at 70 degrees; A.M. temps in FL are 40 degrees. Oil is 0-40 Mobil1. AZ driving was 15 miles each way on the freeway 5 days each week; Florida is stop and go for 1-3 miles, with some 100 feet elevation changes. Air filter is clean. No codes. Tires at 70 psi. 3.73 rear. Not towing; not doing the stop-light-drags. Wassup?

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
winter fuel reason for poor mpg

Possible winter fuel blend. Idling and acceleration hit engines very hard.If you're complaining about the mpg, don't lift for 37s like you wanted in the other post :eek:
Thanks, Shorts! Fuel in AZ is always the winter blend (10% ethanol) due to pollution concerns, so I believe that's not the issue. Idle/accelerate is all I do anymore in Tallahassee, FL. I'll bet the cold-start conditions has something to do with it as well: more fuel injected at 40 degrees than 70 degrees ambient. I'm planning to test on the freeway: run until injectors are empty; fill with 1.0 gallon fuel; start and drive on freeway on a flat stretch at cruise-controlled 55 mpg until injectors empty again. Ya, the 37s extra weight and resistance to begin rolling should reduce the mpg even more. I will change gears to 4.88 if I run 37s.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bowtie4by, you may want to do a little research before running yourself out of gas - I understand that it is not good for an electric fuel pump to run dry.
Thank you, sir, for the suggestion! I will not be running it under dry conditions for long...just a few seconds if that. The engine stumbles and coughs when fuel is almost gone. I will shut-off immediately.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Hi...Been a long time...checking in.

I`m simply saying "Hi!" I`ve been away for a long time. Happy to discover that I have a "Do not Delete" Post!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.