Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the best way to mount my d-ring brackets on my project bumpers? I am considering running a solid piece of 3/8" bar through the bumper, then weld it on both sides. I plan to run a couple of inches extra out the back and bolt that to the frame. Any comments or suggestions?

cjcrawler
"The Beast"
74CJ,304,D20w/Tera Low 3.15:1, dana30&44wlockrights,fullcage,woods'shafts, 33" BFG MT's

·
Registered
326 Posts
The rear bumper I'm getting made right now is going to have 3/4" bar stock not only going through the tubing of the bumper, but 12" into the frame then welded to the frame on both sides. Beats a bolt on setup. I'll be able to jack up the bumper to pick the whole rear of the jeep up. The tubing is 2x4 1/4" thick.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
What has worked very well for me is:

Cut 2 pieces of 4"x4"x3/8" angle 3" long, Round off one side with a 1-1/2" radius, drill appropriate sized hole (Mine are 7/8") in the center of the radius, Put the pieces together to form a "T", with the radiesed sides together forming the upright. Hold the horizontal portion (the unradiused sides) flush with the bumper and weld up. If you want an even better job, seperate the halves by a piece of 1/4 or 3/8" plate, then weld them on.

Very strong!, you will pull your frame apart before you will ever break the pull points.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky

1 - 3 of 3 Posts