Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i'm sure someone out there has done this before (many times!). I'm working from the ground up. I've got a rolling chasis YJ frame w/ front and rear dana 44's. The old mounts have been grounded off. I'm ready to drop my 350 (the mounts just came in from AA). Can anyone give me the measurements on where to exactly put the mounts (maybe some landmarks on the frame?). I'm mating the Engine to SM 465 then to dana 300
Thanks for any help you can give.

Oh, you what I have another question. Any one ever use a Klune V cralwer box with their Jeep? Reason I'm asking is because i read somewhere that you can get one that will mat to a SM 465 then to dana 300. If this is so it will eliminate my need for an adapter - if I'm paying $500 for an adapter it maybe worth the extra (not sure of the price?) to put in a crawler box.
Thanks again

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Klune is NOT cheap. I asked this same question (SM465 to D300). They can do it, but $1895.00! is the price. (Granted, you get a pretty good gear reduction...) I went with the AA adapter.

Jim O'Brien
[email protected]
My jeep page

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Be real careful ...... and if the 350 is receptive .....you may be able to do it.... Sorry..it reminded me of the joke about the taxidermist that was hiking though the Austrailian outback.....he came to a bar and walked in and all the locals looked at him real funny ...him being and outsider. One of the patrons asked him "an whot do you do?". The stranger replied "I'm a taxidermist ...... I mount dead animals". The local exclaimed "relax everyone....he's one of us" /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The best (and I feel only) way to place your motor mounts is to mout your t-case/tranny/ and rear drive shaft to the vehicle and lower the engine and bolt it up to the tranny bell housing, then bolt the motor mounts to the engine and weld them to the frame while they are attached to the engine. Be sure not to push everything all the way back, you want some movement in your drive shaft to that you can remove it without taking off the rear diff! Also, be sure the engine is far enough forward so that you can remove the distributor without having to take the engine out.
go to my home page for more info, may have a pic of the motor mounts, not sure?

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
It's most likely my information is too late to help. I used motor mounts from Mountain Off Road http://www.mountainoffroad.com/catalog/BombProof MM/bombproof.htm I have an 80 CJ5 with a Ford T18 and Dana 20 transfer case. The 80 CJ5 had a Dana 300 transfer case as original equipment. I went with the Dana 20 transfer case because I needed the short adapter between the transmission and transfer case to keep my rear dirveshaft original length. I really like the position the Mountain Off Road BombProof motor mounts place the Chevy 350 in my Jeep. My drivetrain is positioned like the original drivetrain.
Hope this helps
dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.