Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sold a tintop I have been restoring and the guy that picked it up was going to drive it 4 hours home (a long way for a sam) He made it about two hours and the motor started sputtering and losing power on him, (Alternator was fine and charging good) the motor is the quietest smoothest motor I have had, no valve noise with a good idle, He said where he stopped he had a mechanic look at it and the mech told him it didnt have oil pressure (I dont think its not getting oil pressure) the valves are still quite, I am thinking maybe a clogged fuel filter or some moisture in the fuel tank, the vehicle had been sitting for a long time, I had driven it on some short drives (5 miles) with no problem, he said it drove good for a couple of hours then the problem started. I was just wanting to get some input from you guys on it. Its a stock 1300 with a pony carb and manual choke, he said the choke was not on. Not running hot, full of clean oil.

What do you think ?

Thanks

· Registered
10,738 Posts
Start with the obvious - fuel filter/pump - disconnect fuel line and do a flow test.
Also can run it - make it try to stall, add a little fuel to see if it helps - yes? Fuel starvation.

And check spark at the plugs. Loose/broken coil wire - gets hot, pulls out more adding resistance, spark gets too weak.

Oil pressure? I rather doubt it!!!!!!!!!!! Won't run bad until it's seizing - then it's too late.

Or quite possibly - the new owner is looking for a partial refund - scam man!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.