Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to figure out what I'm going to do for a drive train on my cj2.
Would like a V6 or V8 auto with overdrive just not sure what will fit. Has anyone tried the ford 2.8 with 4 speed auto? Space is a problem so would
like to use a motor with a front mounted distributor.Any ideas anyone??

C-Ya.....................kh

G

·
you will have a hadr time getting any od trans into a 80 inch wheelbase, I would suggest giving up on the od thing and running taller gears, or get a warn overdrive for it.

G

·
I think he means an O/D tranny, not a separate overdrive, but I could be wrong. I don't know anyone who's done a 2.8 Ford swap & I can't say that this would be an ideal setup. Not much more torque than a 4-cylinder. You should consider a 225 or 231 (3.8) Buick with a TH200 or TH700, or a 4.3 Chevy with a TH700. A V-8 is possible, but it's more work & if you're willing to consider a 2.8 Ford, a V-8 is likely more HP than you really need.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

G

·
The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic feet. My cj3a cruises the rocks and dunes with a 351 windsor ford (Front mounted distributor), a C4 Automatic (shortest Auto available). Installation was easy after you move the front crossmember forward. Kept the model 27 front and changed rear to a 44, both with lockers. Need really big radiator and truck fan with custom shroud to keep cool.Have wheeled this rig for 15 years with no breakage. The automatic takes a lot of the hard shots out of the driveline. hope this gives you some ideas

G

·
Just my opinion. I'd go with the Buick 225 V6 and either the TH350 or the 700R4. This keeps the overall length down which is very
important with a flat fender. I had the 225 V6 in my old 70 CJ5 and it had plenty of power.

Gary

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. Wasn't sure of the power rating on the V6 ford,It
was mentioned by a friend. I do like the Ford V8/C4 idea as this is also
going to be used around town and in the southern Arizona deserts down here.
4x49er are you still running the Dana18 Tcase or something else?
Thanks again.

C-Ya.....................kh

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.