Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So reading richocet's post about reading the manual reminded me of what I had to do this weekend as well. I did my fourth AMC 304 oil pump rebuild and it still remains one of the most disgusting repairs I have ever undertaken.

When I first decided to rebuild my oil pump, I asked the shop teacher (I never took shop-go figure) how to prime the pump as it couldn't be loaded ahead of time with oil. His answer? Vasoline! 4 oz to be exact. Now I'm not a proud man, and I'm quite comfortable with working with new techniques, but shoving that Sh!T into the underside of an engine has become for me my least favorite and most disgusting repair.

Sooo, what are your favs?

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?

G

·
I hate having to break into anything that gets that gear oil on my hands. That stuff stinks for days. Your Vaseline reminds me of the first NP203 I rebuilt. I put everysingle one of those two hundred and some needle bearings onto that shaft with vaseline. It was in the summer, and I had to wait until late in the evening to do it, so the bearings didn't just fall off of the shaft. At least my hands weren't chapped for the next couple of days.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!

G

·
This may or may not qualify as a repair. As the assistant service manager of an average size GM dealership in the early to mid eighties I saw quite a bit, but this was the winner: A local resturant owner showed up with a large salmon stretched across the top of his engine, left there by a disgruntled employee. How long had it been there? "Oh I'm not sure" he replied, "I started to smell something a week or two ago, but didn't know what it was" Very rotten, partially cooked by engine heat, very smelly. After much arguing among staff it was decided the clean up department would take care of it (I wasn't going to piss off a good line tech) Its an experience I and several others will never forget.

76 CJ5,2.5" lift/Rancho 9000's,258/T-177/D300,HEI,Offy,Locked F&R

G

·
I'm not a big fan of that gasket maker/sealer that is impervious to gasoline. That grey-black stuff doesn't come off very easily and it sticks to everything. Especially when you're just doing a quick repair and don't feel like changing out of some decent clothes, I got some on my everyday wear and it won't come out in the wash.

That Great Stuff insulation isn't too great either if you get it on your skin.

-Jay
Denver, CO
1978 CJ-5 258 Weber, 'glass body

G

·
I had a friend who went through a particularly nast split-up, but he had a copy of his ex-girlfriends car keys.
So, he went to the fish store, bought some bait fish, froze them, then put them inside the door panel of her car.
A couple of weeks later (it was winter in Rhode Island), that car was STINKY!
Don't know if they ever got the smell out.

94 YJ 4.0L Jeep Score - 53 Soon to be lifted!!!

·
Official Historian
8,275 Posts
Once you have kids, nothing seems gross anymore.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif I think dropping out an oily, leaking, power steering pump qualifies as my least favorite activity. Usually they have to be operated on from the top AND from the bottom, and everything is soaked in fluid./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gifI just did this to our FS GM because the pervious owners used a pry bar on the thin tank to tighten the belt and warped the can so bad it would no longer hold fluid./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif TEN OTHER PLACES to pry on, and they push on the can (tank)./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif Oh, well, that's one of the reasons why this used truck was at the absolute bottom of the price chart./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Quadra-Trac Team./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I think for me it's anything to do with an oil pan. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif 304 screws hold them on /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif, and it takes 4 hours to clean it up to be able to put it back on. You've got to think there has to be a better way to mount and seal these things. Being a Mechanical Engineer, I find designs like this, and having to work with them, to be very annoying. Some type of a mount where the pan is clamped in by a channel or a clamping bar... It's interesting that automobiles can come into the 21st century, but there are still parts that are in the 19th.

Pete

88 YJ - trails/beach trips only!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
79 4WD F250-hauler/tower of my toys
70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
90 Honda CRX - Daily pavement-pounder. 42 MPG. /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
No kidding. Like why are drum brakes even still used?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
its not a gross job, but i reall really dislike taking a clutch fan on and off.. what a PITA...guaranteed skinned knuckles.
otherwise, greasing wheelbearing by hand is kinda nasty.. i also dislike it when i am changing hot oil and i drop the fill plug into the oil recepticle.
the time my battery hit the fan and battery acid was all over my fiberglass engine bay kinda sucked too...
i think changing rusty exhaust with the crap falling in your eyes is right up there too..

~~Elusive~~
http://www.jeepgod.com

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Actually, band and drum brakes do have one advantage over disc brake systems, and that is that they are "self-energizing", which reduces the application hydraulic pressure required./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif I'm with Pete on oil pans....I JUST changed the pan gasket in this FS GM with a SB 350. It was leaking like a sieve. Wot a mess! I din't even TRY to clean it up, I just tossed that pan AND the bellhousing directly into the "hot tank" at the local NAPA store./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif In terms of sheer difficulty, how about swapping out a water pump on a Pontiac Quad Four. You start by taking off the RF hubcap and go in through the fender, the engine hangar system, the timing chain case, and so on....SEVENTEEN HOURS it took me./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Quadra-Trac Team./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Difficulty? Try getting to the high pressure hose off the AC coil on a '88 Grand Waggie. Can't be reached from the front with the grill taken out. Have to drop the radiator and then you still have to use a die grinder to take out some metal out of the metal that the hood mounts to, just to be able to put a wrench on it. I don't see how they put it together in the first place, short of putting the hose on the coil before it was put in.

I say it was difficult...it sure wasn't a 17 hour job/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif. More of unnerving, b/c of the sheet metal cutting.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ & '88 Grand Waggie

G

·
For me it is working on most newer vehicles. In general, there is not enough room for access and you have to remove eleventeen unrelated parts to get to what you're after. Aggravating! Dealer mechanics don't get paid enough if you ask me. I prefer working on my simple old Chevys. Even my Jeep is really a Chevy with a CJ-7 tub/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif.

BTW, when I need to clean up greasy parts (oil pans, differentials, wheel bearings, etc.) I use spray carb cleaner or brake parts cleaner to dissolve the heavy stuff. Sure beats using a bunch of rags.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
'84 K20 driver
'80 CJ-7 BBC, 1 ton
'79 K10 mud racer (for sale)

·
Registered
587 Posts
i once had to drive a car into the shop were someone had puked on the drivers seat and dash. I changed the oil and then drive it back out. I didn't eat lunch that day.

Its really a shame that AMC thought floors should be optional/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Worst job I ever did was have to remove the complete heater assembly from under the dash on a '91 T-bird with air. It had a mouse's nest in it with some live and some dead baby mice that had to be cleaned out. The second worst was the heater assembly from an '89 Taurus with a/c. You have to remove the dash to do the heater core which was leaking. The dumb*&^ customer thought he could do it himself and decided he couldn't after he got it COMPLETELY disassembled. I got all the parts in a box and had to put it all together. This is a job that pays on flat rate 8 1/2 hours normally. Took me 11 hours to put it all back together because of all the missing parts I had to source out. Boy was his wife pissed at him when they got the bill! Nickmil.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Well......I see it this way.......what's worse, a candy-ass who won't even TRY or a guy who tries and gets a little over his head? His wife should chalk that up to "experience".....an experience that will pay dividends someday when the guy CAN save them some big bucks./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Dashboards and heater coils are definitely the "hardball" of automotive repair, even if they "seem" innocent at first glance./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ah... that would have to have been the manure spreader chain we fixed on cold January day while it was loaded with 4 tons of "soup." Second worse was changing out the beater drum on a JD 7700 combine while laying on my back on the straw walkers... man that thing was heavy (I know most of you won't get this, that's ok). Somehow I don't miss farming as much when I think of days like that. My CJ7 repairs pale by comparison.

'86 CJ7/AMC 360/TR Ignition/T999/D300/OEM D44 rear.../wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
703 Posts
Not really a repair, but I was oil undercoating my 1970 Scout to prepare for a winter's worth of road salt back when I lived in NH. Hadn't driven it in a few weeks, and when the hot high pressure oil hit the rats nest full of babies... Yuck! Shredded rats nest coated in oil, and deep fried baby rats all over the engine block. Talk about a fire hazard when I started it up.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I get it!.....(Raises hand frantically; jumps up and down.)....I get it!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif When my boys were still small, they were the ones who went inside the nut harvester to hold the bolts from the inside and to help start the draper chain over the sprockets. You can't get them started too early./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Even a little squirt can do quite a bit, and when they do, that's REAL self-esteem, not this artificial s#it they teach in liberalcommieschool nowadays./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

CJDave

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.