Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
I am running the Rough Country radius arm drop brackets. The drop brackets are about 3 or 4 times thicker than the stock radius arm brackets, I don't have any concerns about the strength of them. I have thought about the extended arms. The recess in them would let you have a tighter turning radius without tire rub and I have heard that they allow more wheel travel. Also the bracket would not be hanging down to get hung up on.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
The radius arm bracket strength issue isn't so much the brackets themselves as it is the leverage they apply to the frame when a wheel encounters a hole or tall object at speed. The impact is applied to the bottom of the bracket, which is sorta like hitting the handle of a hammer that's hooked onto a nail in a board - the nail pops out.

I thought about extended radius arms a few months ago, but I couldn't find any sold by themselves, OR that would work with 0" lift.
havack & I are considering fabbing some up using my parts truck's frame as a test bed.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Aussie Arms

Those things are BEEFY! I don't think they need to be that strong, and I think I could come up with a design that would work for most trucks NOT running over 36" tires. If I made them kinda complex, they'd be adjustable for a wide range of lift heights.

I'm just thinking out loud right now, though...

I sent that guy an e-mail inviting him to check out this board.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a great write-up on the custom arms. He has me sold on fabbing my own. Still think heim joints would be better than bushings, so I may go that route.

Also, he measures axle position (from axle to t-case mount) at full drop...I think I'd measure at ride height.

Let me have your ideas when you're ready too, Steve. I really like the simplicity of his design, but I haven't heard a bad idea out of you in the year I've spent here, so I'm interested.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts