Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
more questions about 79 F350 (d60\'s)

I bought this thing for the axles, and now am tossing around crazy ideas like using the whole frame/axles/suspension and putting a jeep body on it. The springs are long, but also stiff so I thought I could pull out a few leaves. The frame would have to be cut down, but that way I could run a wheelbase of say 100-105". I don't have a problem doing the welding and cutting neccesary to shorten the frame and build body mounts, etc. However, I was wondering if anyone has actually put a Jeep body (YJ or CJ8) on a fullsize truck frame. I'll have to strip off the truck body to see, but I'm not sure if the body would be spaced really far from the frame or not.
Let me know what you think

Dan

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
Re: more questions about 79 F350 (d60\'s)

At a shop here in town, there is a scrambler body on a K5 frame with lift springs too. It has hydro steering so the height between the frame and axles is not an issue. It had plenty of room for 40" gateways.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts

I've seen s10 blazers on full sized truck frames, sometimes they are complete chop jobs and you can tell that they were put up there just to be some where to sit and other times you can tell people put their time into it and did it right, i'd say get a yj frame, extend it simlar to H8's yj and throw what ever kind of body you want on it (tj, yj, cj, comando, willys) Full size frames can be relly wide, big and too heavy. Also the springs may be just too "beefe" to work, as i understand it spring makers usually use thick springs for weight capacity and thinner ones for flex and a good ride and i'm guessing those springs are real thick and wouldn't flex that well, now i'm not 100% sure but that's my guess. I'd also say get a "donar jeep" for the body so you don't have to track down tons of little things like hinges, brackets, lights, wipers and everything else. I would say go the yj frame and what ever body you want option but that's how i would probably do it.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a mini-van

·
Registered
1,720 Posts

Seen a shortened '57 Nomad (took out the middle doors) and a DKW both on Jeep frames, but that's going the other direction!

The frame on the F350 is usable, but it would be a lot more work than even building your own frame I'd think. I'd be more incline to either using a jeep frame, or building my own from scratch than trying to play with the F350 Frame. Just my .02 though....

It's all a state of mind, and if you don't mention the state of my mind, I'll be happy to overlook yours!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts