Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I have a 92 XJ with BFG AT 31's, 3 inch black diamond lift, rubicon rear leafs, Performance plug wires, intake spacer, bosche platnum plugs, K&N filter,. I'm tring to get all the power that i can out of it. It has a tuff time on the highway and i want more power. Anyone have some ideas that are some what cheap, like under $600. The low end is great but it struggles to do 75...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
maybe a gear change is what you need .. SCRAM

It's All Out or Nothing At All!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I agree, gears would probably do more for you than any other mod right now. You could go with a catback exhaust and header but there aren't that huge of gains from that you'll see doing 75 mph. Sitting on stock tires and having some of the same mods as you I have no problem crusing at 70-80 so gears might just be the ticket for you.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
i agree gears would be best. I have no idea what gears i have but on the highway on a flat surface (no hills) i can keep up at about 70 w/ no problems. I didn't buy it for speed, thats what the RX-7 Turbo is for!

Later,

Todd

88' XJ
3" rusty's
1.75" Shackles
2" RE spacers.
Rusty LCA's.
RE adj trackbar

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
just today i took mine on the freeway and tryed to push it as hard as i could...topped out around 80...all stock right now, 2000mls on rebuilt motor...when i say topped out is b/c she started to shake a little and didnt want to kill her befor i go to sturgis in Aug....lol...i think around 75 or so is top for the xjs....but try gears...always helps...andy

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I hit over 81 mph a few days ago in the MJ with the 2.5L. I never checked to be sure, but I'm guessing I don't have the 4.10s. I am runnning 235's, which makes the 81mph more like 85mph. I hadn't topped out, just ran out of land.

I suggest gears as well. Higher numbers for torque and lower numbers for top speed/fuel. Since you seem to be going as far as the K&N and spacer, I think you are in line for some nice headers. If you can, screw the cat. or find a low-restriction deal. Not sure if your county has sniffers.

'88 MJ SporTruck
365K on 2.5L (Energizer Bunny Package)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hit 85 in my xj the other day as well. 3.54 gears and 31" tires. SCRAM

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hit 85 easy with my 32" MT and I have the stock 3.54 gears in my 96 cherokee....but in actuality since I have a 11% error in my speedo I am actually doing more like 94-95mph....The only thing I can think of is that my snorkel is doing its ram air thingy at highway speeds:)

push your limits, be extreme...anything less and you'll never learn.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you guys are great! Here I was afraid to say anything about how fast I drive my Jeep. I'll tell ya, you sure can scare the hell outa someone driving a 5.0 Mustang!

MK86: THE US NAVY SENDS ITS REGARDS... FIVE INCHES AT A TIME!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a 86xj with 4.10 gears and i can hit 110 (according to the highway patrol)with pedal to spare. Once you get past the shimmy at 85 its smooth sailing. But I also have a complete drivetrain from a 92' blazer. stock rearend though. I also suggest gearing your truck differently.

I need more power Scotty!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I couldnt hit 110 if i was droped from a plane in my xj!!!! SCRAM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.