Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, last time i posted about a roaring noise (sounds like a bearing) i couldn't answer all of your questions. My throwout bearing is bad, this i know, next, when i drive down the road, the roaring gets loud. It's loudest in 5th gear cruising, when i let off the gas it goes away, when i accelerate, it goes away. When i cruise at 55mph, i could pull my hair out it's so loud. What the hell could this be,i know my t/case is good to go, i just rebuilt it. Thanks Marc

88 Samurai, 16 V EFI motor, Dana 44's, 36" Swampers, ARB and Detroit
lockers, custom drop arms, GRS II, 5.38 r&p, Warn 8000, custom bumpers,
leather seats & lots more.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
5th gear bearing is the one that typically goes first. If thats your problem, get it cnaged NOW! When/if it goes, it could schrapnel and cause some serious expense.

Changing a bearing is cheap. Replacing gears and synchros ain't.

http:// [URL]www.rocky-road.com [/url]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
5th gear bearing is the one that typically goes first. If thats your problem, get it changed NOW! When/if it goes, it could schrapnel and cause some serious expense.

Changing a bearing is cheap. Replacing gears and synchros ain't.

http:// [URL]www.rocky-road.com [/url]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RRO is absolutely right!!!! It's gotta be the transmission. If you put bearings in it now, it'd be a simple job of carefull tear down and reassembly. These gearboxes split on the horizontal, making them a peach to work on. Don't blow it up, fix it!!

88 Sam 4.16,welded rear,235-75's on Ford truck wagon wheels, 4.5 spoa,5k quick mount Ramsey

·
Registered
796 Posts
A buddy of mine had the same sound! He let it go, and it did last about 1 year, but then one day he was driving down the highway and the tranny seized and locked the back wheels up! He had enough sense to haul the t-case into neutral. We took the transmission oil plug out and there were metal shavings in the oil. I think you should rebuild the tranny! Good Luck.

Rodney C
1985 CJ7,302 V8,T18,D20,SOA,Shackles Reversed, 35" BFG AT's, Fiberglass Tub & Front End...
1990 Samurai,87 drive line,SOA+2.5" Add-A-Leaf,4.16's,5.12's,33" BFG's Mud's,Pony Carb...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.