Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, more (hopefully not stupid) newbie axle questions. Since the consensus is that D35's are weak, it looks like at some point I'll be upgrading my axles. I have no experience with welding/re-gearing, etc. So, given the labor costs of fitting a scrounged D44 under my YJ, would I be better off $-wise scrounging & fitting or buying a new 'custom' axle? Ford 8.8 swap?

'95YJ, 6cyl, 5spd, 4" lift, 31's (for now), 4.56's & a rear locker

·
Registered
644 Posts
8.8-8.8-8.8 I can't say it enough. You can get one in a junkyard with 4.10s and disc brakes for 2-300$ and the mounting kit is available from MORE for $140 and it includes new perches,spring plates, u bolts, and shock mounts. All that is left is a yoke for the rear u-joint which they also have or any driveshaft shop should have. If later you decide to upgrade your transfer case with a slip yoke eliminator you can get one that uses 1330 u-joints instead of the stock puny 1310 and there is also a yoke available for the 8.8 that accepts it.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
The 1310 and 1330 cap diameters are the same, but the cap to cap length is greater on the 1330 (3 7/32" for the 1310 and 3 5/8" for the 1330).

The 1310 is good for 1,600 ft-lbs of torque while the 1330 is good for 1,850 ft-lbs, so the 1330 is only 15.6% stronger, not a huge difference.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Jeepn...15% is better than nothing, and if they hold up to V8s in full size rigs(OK only half ton but)they're better than what the jeep came with. By the way, where did you find the tourque rating? Info like that will always come in handy.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
No kidding, sometimes 15% is the difference between riding and walking, and I was surprised on the stats as well, I also thought it'd be more.

I have a vast amount of reference books on the shelf, actually a few shelves, but that particular piece of info I got out of the "4x4 Jeep Performance Handbook" by Jim Allen, which is awesome reading.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.