Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a set of Mopar TJ side steps (sans mounting bolts/nuts) from a guy that replaced his with Runck side steps/rails. My question is, since my TJ didn't come with the steps, there are no threads/capture nuts in the mounting holes. And since the frame is boxed steel, how in the @&%% do I get nuts in there to attach the things?

Anyone else ever done this? I sense that this job will require a LOT of beer!!! ;-)

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
I hope you don't plan on wheeling with those steps on. They'll soon be off again if you do. Ours ripped off while wheeling, broke one side the first run, but it was still attached in the back "Don't worry honey, I can fix it...", then snapped both off (blew both into the air 5' at once) a few months later on Streaked Mountain in Bethel "Don't worry honey, I can build a better set...". She wasn't impressed, had to live in the doghouse for awhile.
We (my older brother and I) did build a better set, cost me $100 in hardware and steel. We used 1.5" sch 80 tubing (talk about HEAVY!), sch 80 elbows, and 1/4" plate. I'll have to take some pictures of them, they're awesome. They sit next to the body, so they can be used as a step, and they have an intermediate rail between the body and frame for those "hidden" rocks. They extend the whole length and complement the curvature of the wheel arc. The are also the same width as the wires, so they don't get hung up in tight spots.
Get on with it already! OK, so how is this relevant? We drilled the frame (burned up 2 titanium bits, it's HARD) and tapped it. The original steps are held on with 10mm bolts, we used 7/16", 7 of them. 13 hours after they were installed, not even painted yet, my wife got into an accident during an ice storm. Wound up on a stone wall at 30 mpg (although she says your speed doubles when you hit ice so she was really doing 70). She dismounted the right front tire and the jeep was lodged on top of the wall by the new rail. She locked into 4WD and managed to get herself off the wall, changed the tire, and looked for damage. There was none! She wouldn't let me take them off until May to paint them. So the tapped frame will hold, since then we've slid them across many an obstacle, I take them off once a year and repaint them, still look new.
The steps are nice, easy to get in and out of the TJ, but they're NOT going to hold up, just keep that in mind when wheeling. They look strong enough, but we even bent the tube that holds them on, denting the body a little (some quick fixing with a mallet and the wife can't see the bend.../wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif...and I'm not going to tell her).

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205/7" Lift/33" Swampers/D44's F&R 4.10's & Lockrights

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put a set of nerf bars on my truck. I drilled holes in the frame and used self tapping bolts. They have held up to some pretty good abuse.

Cut to shape, hammer to fit, paint to match /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif
Project '51 willy's total rebuild /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my mopar nerf bars came with (12) self taping bolts and no nuts. so far its held of fine(i live in NJ, no large rocks to climb) we burnt up two bits drilling the frame, and stripped 2 of the self tapping bolts, but it only took like 2 hours after work(and this was in the dark). if you really need to know what size the bolts were, send me an email and i'll look it up.

just buy the bolts and it will hold fine(much better than the stock steps they offer)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.