Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Well, better milage, I dunno really, I am just too happy with the power and reliability to care ;-)

Seriously, the MPI is not a great option if you want better milage. I assume you put regular unleaded in your CJ now, well with the MPI you need to put super. So, the $ you saved on the Milage is shot.

The MPI is about $1700 all told. But you will live in a world without the tangles of vacuum hoses, strange wires all over from the carb, vacuum/electrical devices failing intermittantly and causing you grief, a very clean and orderly engine comprtment with a brand new dist, coil, computer and intake manifold. You do not have to spend time mucking with the Carter BBD every month either! There is actually less to break down with the MFI (I live in CA, where my '85 was chock full of emission junk) than with the stock, and most parts are readily availible. If you have a problem, you can ask the computer to do a diagnostic which will tell you of a intake leak, or sensor failire, etc..

I guess you can tell that MPI was the best thing I did for my Jeep, it runs great, starts great and sounds great.

Just my $.02

Scott,
'85 CJ7 'T.H.O.R.' "Take Him Off Road"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, 1700 is pretty close to what the MPI kit costs. I got mine from Protech in Denver along with a 4.0 head. I ordered the head as a result of a lot of research. The head is supposto solve the nasty pinging problem associated with the MPI kit. I don't have any experinece driving it yet because I just did the prep work before painting the engine last night.

From what I have read in the past on this board, not everyone has needed to run super unleaded, hight octane with this conversion. Do a search and see what you come up with. This subject has come up a few times before.

Good luck,

Robert87yj/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
engine rebuild w/4.0 head done, now for the MPI

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I have MPI with 4.0 head. I run 85 octane gas without a problem. The engine is a freshly rebuilt 4.2 w/mild mopar cam and headers.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (& rocks & rivers & mountians etc, You get the picture.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.