Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight (Friday) at 9pm eastern time on the History Channel, "The four wheel drive". I've been looking forward to this all week, I hope it's good.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I missed it...Give us the review. Is it worth catching?

78 CJ7 Golden Eagle/TR Ignition/Weberized/2" leafs

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
A while back (when I still had cable--got rid of it because the only channels we ever watched were A&E and the History channel!) I saw a History channel program on the History of the Jeep. A lot of fun. One of the folks that was interviewed was Bill Mauldin about his old CJ2A. Bill Mauldin was a WWII cartoonist that did the comic "Up Front" about the grunts "Willy" and "Joe". He did a famous one frame cartoon of a old Calvary master sargent holding his hands to his eyes as he was about to shoot his jeep with a .45 because of a broken axle.....Bill Mauldin is also the guy that Snoopy refers to every vetrens day: "Where are you going Snoopy?" asks Charlie Brown. "To Quaff a few root beers over at Bill Mauldin's". My dad read his stuff as a kid (he was born in '41 and my grandad served in WWII on Okinawa, Saipan and Tinian) and wanted a copy of his book. I managed to find one, and of course I had to read it before I gave it to him.....

Got a buddy with cable. May have to have him record it for me.

It's all a state of mind, and if you don't mention the state of my mind, I'll be happy to overlook yours!

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
It was very cool, until the end. Then they started saying that Jeeps were "old"/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif and that the Hummer was top dog/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif. They obviously haven't been to the woods lately!

Caver Dave
'72 Commando
Oo=====oO

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It wasn't bad. The last 20-25 minutes was ok. It's on again at 1am eastern and sometime saturday.

G

·
The 2WD pre-runners/baja's/dunebuggies in the Baja-1000 got more camera time then the rock-crawlers. The history parts where interesting though.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Dune Buggy? Is that some kind of exotic beetle or something?

*sorry, I couldn't resist!*

It's all a state of mind, and if you don't mention the state of my mind, I'll be happy to overlook yours!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I taped it and watched it today, I think that I saw it a few months ago, good history on willy's, Jeep's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts