Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im replacing my yoke on my 1984 cj7, model 20 rear end, Ive broke one of the ears off that holds the u-joint in. Just wondering if anyone has any tips or pointers before I start. THANKS JTcj7

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Yep, You will have to jack up the Jeep and take off the brake drums to eliminate any drag. Then use a low-range torque wrench to check the amount of torque it takes to just turn the yolk. WRITE THAT NUMBER DOWN. Then take off the yolk. Install new yolk, and torque it till you have the same amount of torque to turn the gears....PLUS FIVE INCH POUNDS. If you go too far, you will be so screwed that you will need a counterweight just to walk around, so TAKE IT SLOW AND CAREFUL!!/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Oh, did I mention not to go too far?/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
Taz says, "As long as you have to change the yoke anyway, replace it with the one with the u-bolts
instead of those %$#@*&% straps".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't emphasize how much to listen to exactly what Dave said. Otherwise, you will be learning how to set up the gears in a diff, or paying someone 5 bills to do so. /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

·
Registered
401 Posts
On a related note, I need to replace the pinion bearing on my axle. How much of a PITA is that? Should I get a new crush sleeve or use the above technique? I'd like to rebuild the whole thing and regear it (3.54's now), but I don't have the cash right now, so it's a matter of what do I really need to do right now.....

-Dana

When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced...
Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
-- Cherokee saying

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif GREAT FOOTNOTE DANA! Back to the crush sleeve....I used to keep the old crush sleevs laying around because sometimes you could re-use them if the manufacturing tolerances on the shaft, and bearings is slightly different than what came out. You just don't know till you get it together. Either it will, or it won't./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.