Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for all the recent questions...

Again, a some of you may know, I'm looking into an axle swap and have found some Wagoneer axles. Is the Wagoneer model 20 worth swapping? Is it a lot stronger than my D35, and if not, CAN it be a lot stronger? How? It supposedly already has 1 piece axles, what else would it need, or would I be better off leaving it in the junkyard?

Thanks again...

Marc
Contagious Off-Road

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Model 20's generally need two things: 1-piece axles and a truss. Sounds like you have one of those covered. The model 20's supposedly can spin their tubes. I believe some people add a couple spot welds in the holes on the side of the diff housing where the tube show through. (Do not weld the opening where the tube enters the diff housing.) Others weld on a truss that not only prevents the tubes from spinning but also from bending. I think the truss approach is better. Make sure it is mounted on top of the axle so no ground clearance is lost. Also make sure it extends out to the ends of the axle tubes. I have a friend with a YJ that has SOA, V8, 35x15 Swampers, model 44 front, trussed model 20 rear. His Jeep works great but he bent the model 20 axle tube out near the end of the tube because his truss only went out to just inboard of the spring perch. His truss now extends out to the end of the tube. Of course, you need to make sure it doesn't cause interference with other parts during articulation.

One of the magazines did an article a while back comparing the 20 and 44. As I recall, the 20 has bigger (ie. stronger) ring and pinion. The 44 has bigger bearings. The 20 has the weakness described above but these can be improved also as described above. And it may be cheaper to beef up a 20 you can get for cheap than to acquire a 44. Your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.