Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's amazing. Everything is on the CJ and now I am just adjusting the new CARTER carb. I think I have the mixture right, but how do I know when it's perfect? Secondly, I have this high pitch whistle at idle that I can stop, please help as I would love to have my Jeep on the trail tomorrow! Thanks in advance.

CJ More

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
The whistle sound like a vacuum leak. Spray carb cleaner around the gaskets and hoses until it quits
then you've found the leak. If the mixture you're talking about is the screws at the bottom of the carb,
that's for idle air adjustment (not to bee confused with the one on the linkage for idle speed adjustment).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Air mixture? When I adjust the screws at the bottom of the carb, the whistle will stop, just for a second and then fade in. Is this some type of helper sound for adjustment of the air mixture??

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
I'd say if the whistle is worse the more you close the screws and better if you open them, you defiantly
have a vacuum leak. Close the screws as much as you can and still keep the engine running and
check for leaks.

If the whistle gets worse as you open the screws, I really don't know unless you have them open way
too far or have a plugged passage hole. The rule of thumb for most carbs is to close both screws and
open them one and a half to two turns but read the directions that came with the rebuild kit. From that
point you make slight adjustments until the engine is smooth and slightly below the highest RPM you
can get. I hope I'm remembering correctly, check the instructions.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This may sound like a duh! answer, but I discovered, after a "mechanic" worked on my Carter that the adapter plate between the carb and the manifold was installed upside down, and there was a small hole in the gasket. As I recall, the flanged side goes against the manifold.

You can isolate the vacuum leak sound by attaching a 3 foot length of garden hose on a funnel, and using it as a "stethoscope". Put the funnel close to your ear and probe around various parts of the carb with the hose end. You may feel stupid, but it works if you have a hard to find vacuum leak.

Doug88YJ
God Bless Conservative America

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.