Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
6,784 Posts
If you get the 'Field Grade' paint, it seems to be a lot tougher...
The only problem is, the field grade paint only comes in flat, and I mean FLAT colors...
Flat Black, Flat Light Green, Flat Dark Green, Flat Brown.... You get the idea...
It is best applied uncut, with a sponge brush... I swear you can get in on 1/8 of an inch thick!
It resists scratches and gouges, and if it does get scratched, just feather the edges with a brick, and lay some more on ...
It's tough stuff.

I get it at the local surplus store, and it runs about $8 to $15 bucks a can depending on the color and if the can is dented or not...

All of the safety paint I have seen is high gloss, and usually plain paint.

By the way, the newer field grade paint is radar deflecting and will help keep laser guided stuff from locking onto you... That's for the benefit of you anti-government types out there...

Later folks,
Aaron.

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"

· Registered
6,784 Posts
We just had the 'Field Grade' and 'Garrison Grade' paints when I was in.
The field grade is best applied with a brush or roller, uncut, you get a much thicker coat that way...
The Garrison Grade was almost a semi gloss, was already thin, and got used on vehicles that carried staff officers.

One thing to remember,
FLAT BLACK is FLAT BLACK.
No trying to match a thousand shades of red or three hundred shades of green.
Black is black. It matches perfectly no matter what.

Flat black is also hot as hell in the summer sun...

· Registered
6,784 Posts
I'm not a paint and body guy, so I'm not up on the paint types...
The other guy is correct, the military vehicles with field grade paint were constantly being touched up...
It was tough paint, but it would hold moisture and crud...
It was hard to get mud off of too. We used fire hoses to clean things, and that wouldn't get the crap off sometimes...

I like black, but a pattern of dark green, Two or three shades of Gray, and some black in tiger stripes made the jeeps invisible in low light or at night, and damned hard to spot in direct sun light...

I don't know how well the radar evasion of the paint is, but I know the police laser couldn't lock on even under a hundred yards...
If you have to run a front license plate, or have a flat windshield, all bets are off there also...

Later folks, Aaron.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.