Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where or how is the easiest way to fix a broken plastic rear window ? Do any mfg's sell replacement plastic windows for the soft tops ? Or any suggestions on how to repair/replace it? I searched the net, but couldnt find anything...........TIA !!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Do you need to replace the one in the hard top or soft. If soft, I went to the local WalMart, got some of the same type of plastic cut out the same size I needed, used an awl to make to holes for the thread and then used sail thread to put the window back in. I also did this for the doors and it looks great. A little time consuming but not too bad.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THIS WOULD BE FOR THE SOFT TOP. IS THE MIL THICKNESS THE SAME, OR WOULD IT MATTER IF IT WAS THINNER? IS SEWING THE ONLY WAY TO GET IT TO STAY ON ? I NOTICED THE ORIG LOOKED LIKE IT WAS GLUED ON. DO YOU THINK CONTACT CEMENT ON THE EDGES WOULD HOLD IT ? THANKS !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used about the same thickness but I didn't measure it to be sure. I doubt that sewing it is the ONLY way to make it stay on but it is definately the most positive retention method. I would worry that the contact cement wouldn't hold and when driving down the highway let go...

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Automotive interior/convertible top places are supposed to be a good place to get them repaired. That was the answer I got when I asked the same question last fall. I just taped over the hole with some clear packing tape. It held it through the winter. Since it's summer, my top has been in storage. I'll probably have it looked at some time this fall.....

·
Registered
921 Posts
I just go to the local upholstery shop. If you see a bunch of boats sitting out front, they probably know what they're doing. I like mine because they always quote me a price and wind up charging me half. I had the two windows, and several zippers sewed back onto a top after my old 78 got hit. Took them like 5 minutes to do the entire rear window, part of a side window, and a few zippers, oh and the plastic rail.

-web

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.