Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about my front suspension dilemma for my buggy a lot though all I have to look at is pictures because my buggy is on the main land. Biggest problem with my front end is lack of turning radius, I like the way my front leafs work they are just too wide, I could go with coils but I would probably mess them up and it's really expensive to do it right. I think my springs are 33 or 33.5" center pin to center pin. I want to say a yj d30 is 31" so I would need to move my center pins and hangers in 1-1.25" on each side to gain some turning radius, maybe more if there is room. Is it possible to mill a dana 44 housing and move the spring perches in an inch on each side? Here's the best pictures I can find on my computer.

Looking at the pictures it looks to me like there is enough meat and room to move the spring perch over and fab up a perch for the housing side. I have a pretty simple idea to solve the problem of my tires rubbing on my frame rails. I don't want to swap in a different d44 housing if I can avoid it, this one has been narrowed, shaved, geared/ locked and is what I have.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I don't have the numbers infront of me I will post them tonight, but I have YJ center spring to Center spring at home. As part of my Dana 44 swap I used an angle grinder to move the purch on the 78 chevy blazer into the diff about 1/2". That was about all I could get. However, the purch in your picture appears to be farther from the diff so you likely will get more.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Am I correct in saying that your In board U-bolt on the diff end only touches on the bottom of the web?

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i talked to my buddy that is watching my buggy 33" center to center and i can probably go 1" on each side. I measured my parents yj and it's 31" center to center.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Andy, when I cut my Scout D44 for SOA I used a 4.5 inch angle grinder, then fine tuned the angle by welding a shaved perch onto the new flat spot and housing. I thought this was going to be really difficult, but turned out to only be a couple of hours work. I am 31 inches now with the Scout D44 and get to full lock both directions without rubbing 35s. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1 - 5 of 5 Posts