Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my '96 king cab 4x4 I've noticed that when I make a turn left or right I get a high pitched metallic scraping noise.
I don't know any other way to describe it. It is not the brakes. I can apply the brakes, push in the clutch, and it does nothing to
the noise. It is consistant with speed and if I go in a straight line for about 1/4 mile it will slowly reduce and go away. I can't
make the noise happen, it sounds off whenever it wants, so I'm clueless as to what it could be. Never seen anything like this
before. Sounds like it's coming from up front. I jacked the front up and the wheels spin fine. Any ideas?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris,

I've only got 42k street miles on the truck. I'm in 2wd when it happens so that elimates the cv-joints. I'm planning to repack
the wheel bearings this weekend since it hasn't been done before. I don't know what else it could be.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It just totaly hit me now! If it's happening when your taking a corner Hard Over it's probably your steering stops. All you need to do is lube those babies up and that should take care of it. You won't notice it as much when off-road because the truck doesn't usually co over as hard. So try that and let me know???

Chris James
"Go Solid or Go Home"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts