Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As is all too common, the stock oil guage on my CJ is driving me nuts and I'm thinking about upgrading to a mechanical guage. If I like the result I may install a mechanical water temp guage as well. How hard is it to switch over to mechanical guages? What brands are the best, keeping in mind I want to maintain a somewhat OEM look and don't have a ton of money? Is there a mech guage that will use my existing back-lights, or will I need to rewire?

Thanks

TEXAS1AL

84 CJ-7; 258 I6; Restored-to-Stock Condition

·
Registered
523 Posts
My advice is to get a Summit Racing catalog. Look thru it till you find some that you like. Mechanical guages are probably the easiest to hook up and troubleshoot, should something not work right. My advice is buy the best ones you can afford. Auto Meter is good, so is VDO if you can afford them. Hope this helps. Wade

76 CJ, well what is left of it! working on my YJ-7. YJ frame, YJ tub, 2" BDS SOA 3/4 ton D44 F and 14FF rear

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
It shouldn't be a huge problem to switch. I just put all autometer gauges in my '80 CJ-7 and the directions were very straight forward. The gauge that I replaced was mechanical. I went and replaced them with electric gauges however and got rid of the mechanical oil guage. It blew apart under my dash and squirted oil everywhere that I am still cleaning up. Mechanical may be more acurate, but I will sacrifice some of that for never having hot oil/water sprayed on my leg again!

My girlfriend said if I spent one more dime on my Jeep she would leave. Man I'm going to miss her!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.