Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the chance to get a good price on a T18 tranny(with the granny low 6.32) and I am currently running a Chevy 350 engine. Anyone done this conversion?? How difficult is it?? How many different adapters???

absolutjeep

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a 350 to T19 (full sychonized version of a T18). I went the easy route and used two adapters...one from the chevy to t19 and then t19 to d300.

There is a way to get around not using the AA bellousing but it requires welding some tabs and thats all I know about that.... not much, heh?

Well, I guess I shouldnt have answered this post because I've offered no real advice.

Good luck.... you'll have the best of two worlds!

LarryM
85 CJ7, 350TBI ,T19 4spd
'00 TJ Sport, NV3550 5spd, D44, Teraflex system

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
novak used to have this on his website, I miss that guy.
anyways you have to machine down the ford retainer to the chev size to locate the bellhousing, (it is a ford tranny right?) drill new holes in the housing to bolt on the bellhousing, use a ford clutch disk in the chev pressure plate/flywheel, and get a special pilot bushing to take the ford size in a chev engine. I don't remember what was done for the throwout bearing though, maybe the shaft was turned down to use the chev throwout?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why not just go with the SM 465 Muncie? It's got 6.58 first gear and uses a Chevy bellhousing. The trany is 12" long, and with a A/A that is 3.5" it is less than half an inch longer than what I have now. I picked one up at a local junkyard for $200 and a 60 day warranty.

80 CJ7 with 4 inch lift, 33x12.50x15 Trail T/A
98 KX250

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1)-Machine the front bearing retainers outside edge (the big circle) to fit into the hole in a GM bellhousing. 2)-Machine the front of the bearing retainer to be a slip fit into a GM throwout bearing. 3)-elongate the top two holes on the T-18 to align with the top two holes of the GM bellhousing. They are about 1/8 inch off. 4)- Drill a blank ear on the T-18 to align with the lower left hole of the GM bellhousing. 5)- Drill the other blank ear on the T-18 and drill and tap a corresponding hole in the GM bellhousing.

The trans should now bolt to the GM bellhousing. You will want to use a GM flywheel(of course), pressure plate and throwout bearing. Use a Ford clutch disc of the same diameter as the GM pressure plate. Use a GM pilot bushing bored out to accept the Ford input shaft.

"My other car is a BULLDOZER"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.