Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we go again. Those of you familiar with my previous posts know I'm trying to ID my '74 CJ5's major components. So far I have confirmed that it is a '74, I have recently discovered that the 258 6cyl. that is in it is in FACT a 232 6cyl. Now this is only upsetting in that I was told when I bought it that it had a 258(Personally, I think the previous owner just did not know). The reason I'm not too upset is the fact that I am a HUGE fan of original equipment( the VIN told me that my frame came w/ a 232), which brings me all the way to my question. Does anyone out there know where I can go to match my engine ID code with my VIN? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, and good wheelin'
jimbo

G

·
I'm not exactly sure of what your asking, but I'm assuming that you want to know if that particular block came in your Jeep from the factory.

I'm not sure if it is possible to find this out, but you might want to try a major library. I went to the library once to look something up in a Hollander Interchange Manual and found that they had a pretty extensive VIN decoding section. It was a long time ago so I don't remember exactly what info it gave, but I remember being impressed by the detailed account of HP and torque ratings per year. Maybe they have info on "matching" the block to the chassis.

You can get some basic VIN info here as well: Specialty Parts

jo-jo aka Jonathan Poole
77 Jeep CJ5 Fozzy Locker
RTI Score 1250

·
Registered
856 Posts
I know the 258 I-6 engins have a build data code stamped on the block between # 2& 3 cylinders that will tell you(by decoding it) the month date and year of manufacture of the block (if it was Mfgd. after your model year you evidently don't have an original block. it is kinda hard to read so I did a rubbing to get the info.I am trying to trace the origin of my 1980 CJ and cant find any on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.