Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know of a website that has an exploded view of a standard 1/2 ton internal manual locking hub? i just broke down the front wagoneer dana 44 for my yj swap and found a few pieces that resembled broken spring pieces in the driver side, then on the passenger side i didnt find any evidence of a spring at all. any help on this or a site with rebuild tips, exploded views, or anything else would be good. the axles shaft has a little play on the end poking out of the spindle but i dont think that should hurt anything right since it doesnt hold the wheel or anything, only rotational forces??? thanks in advancefor the help.

'95 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
33"s, snorkel, 1000+ RTI, Warn xd9000i

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I shouldn't reply to this post because I'll probably just end up making you even more confused........ah, what the hell, I'm bored and have nothing better to do right now...../wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Don't know if this applys at all, but........when I replaced my Warn Premium hubs on my Dana 30, the internals of the "new" locking hubs where using a flat accordian like spring. The old style used a number of small slinky type springs. The two Wran hubs were identical on the outside, but very different on the inside.

If your replacing the hubs (I would, on a rebuild), I probably wouldn't worry too much about it. Of course I know nothing about the internal style hubs.

The play in the axle is normal!

jo-jo
'77 CJ5 Fozzy Locker
20 degree RTI 1250

'87 Samurai Stock (for now)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I shouldn't reply to this post because I'll probably just end up making you even more confused........ah, what the hell, I'm bored and have nothing better to do right now...../wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Don't know if this applys at all, but........when I replaced my Warn Premium hubs on my Dana 30, the internals of the "new" locking hubs where using a flat accordian like spring. The old style used a number of small slinky type springs. The two Wran hubs were identical on the outside, but very different on the inside.

If your replacing the hubs (I would, on a rebuild), I probably wouldn't worry too much about it. Of course I know nothing about the internal style hubs.

The play in the axle shaft is normal!

jo-jo
'77 CJ5 Fozzy Locker
20 degree RTI 1250

'87 Samurai Stock (for now)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just finished swapping 87 Grand Wagoneer axles under my 95 YJ. Well, not quite finished - waiting for my fabricator friend to come over and weld the rear perches. Anyway, the fronts done, and I installed my new warn premium hubs, so......

Hope this helps:

When I disassembled mine, behind the dust cap there was a c clip holding the drive flange (solid hub), a spring (single, same diameter has the hub), then the locking washers for the wheel bearings. It's possible that there was a washer between the spring and the wheel nuts, not really sure.

Anyway, I simply went to a local parts store and bought Warn premium internal hubs for a dana 44. Apparently they are all the same. What you do is reinstall the rotor/hub, install the wheel bearings nuts as per usual, then replace EVERYTHING else outboard of the wheel nuts with the warn hub. So although it sounds like your stock hubs were incorrectly installed, all you need to install new hubs is the wheel nuts and locking washers (that go between the 2 wheel nuts). The rest gets chucked. The only special tool you need is the Dana 44 wheel bearing nut tool.

The internal hub body slides right into the rotor/hub (sorry I don;t know the proper technical term for this part), then a big snap ring goes in to hold that in place. You push the axle out as far as it will go and you can install the snap ring on the end of the axle shaft that holds the warn hub body in place. There is meant to be some axle sticking out of the spindle - that's where the clip goes to hold the hub in. Won't cause any problems.

you then line up the warn hub outer cap with one of the screws, screw in the allen head screws (requires 7/64 hex head, I think. email me if you don't have a complete set and want to know the exact size and I will check for you), and you are done!

I was amazed by how simple a process it was, and how easily and well the warn hubs went into place and work. And I now have real, internal, locking hubs! Real cool! I was also a little worried about it originally because I ended up with a basket of parts when I disassembled it, and wasn;t sure if I could remember where everything went. because the hubs replace everything outboard of the bearing nuts, you don;t really need to worry about the rest.

email me if you want more info. I don't hit the boards that often, so if you need more answers right away, best to email me at [email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts