Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 94 path and i noticed the typical exhaust noise when it cold and once the motor warms up it disappears. I here a lot of talk about this problem.
Typically is the manifold(s) warped or are the bolts broken? Is it possible that the bolts loosen off and they can be re-torqued? Does anybody know if can be left the way it is or should it be repaired. Its only noisey for about 5mins.
I had a 87 Path before this one and never had any problems with the manifolds?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Are you sure the noise is exhaust related? Is the manifold leaking? I know on my 87 when I first start it I get some lifter noise until the oil reaches the top of the motor, this could be what your hearing. As for the manifold bolts, if there warped most likely a few bolts would be broken, no they usuall do not loosen so you would not be able to just retighten them good luck

TONY(HARDBODY)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 92 pathfinder and I had the same problem, thea manifold was warped and it had the same charicteristics when it was cold. I had it replaced and everything was fine. A month later teh same problems with the manifold started occuring again. The manifold has been warped for three months now and it still runs fine with it there. I am pretty sure that it doesn't hurt anything if it doesn't get fixed, but if you are going to fix it get an aftermarket one cause the stock one sucks.

RuedPath

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sounds like a broken manifold stud. Usually it's the last one on the right side (passenger side rear) which breaks. Very common problem on the 3.0 V6. The manifold does warp. It has to be removed and machined straight, and re-installed. The second problem is where the stud breaks. If it breaks flush with the head, it will have to be drilled out, which means the head has to come off. "Sorry for the HORROR story."

It happened to me (95XE) twice in 4 four years, at 2 yrs old, and almost to the day 2 yrs later. I had it fixed the first time under warranty be the dealer. The second time I did it myself, and I put on Headers. This is the permanent fix without question. I put on Pacesetters, the headers fit perfectly, however the bottom crossover tube is another story. Fortunately I have a friend with a muffler shop because we had to modify the pipe with the O2 sensor B4 the Catalitic converter to make it fit properly.

Good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you do deside to fix it and your warranty has expired, you might want to consider scrapping the exhaust manifold and go with some headers? I think you'll find that the headers will be about the same cost if not cheaper and will also eliminate the problem from re-occuring?
Just an Idea?

Chris J.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif"Go Solid or Go Home"/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts